Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
hi can any please advise us on the place or area to stay in new york as we are planning on making our own flight arrangements to using rcl's.
also we will be arriving in newark airport is it close to the port.
any suggestions thanks

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM

EWR (Newark) is about 25 miles from the pier. You'll be far better off price wise if you find a hotel in NJ somewhere just across the river. NYC hotels are very pricey and the rooms can be tiny and some are shared bathrooms unless you spring for big bucks on a 4 or 5 star. You're not in the heart of the action or walking distance this way but will get a nicer room at a reasonable rate.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
hi thanks so would you say its better to get a flight to jfk and stay in manhatton

Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Where is a good place to stay if driving down the night before? My husband and I plan on driving from Vermont next year. Should we plan on parking in their lot or is there a motel that will let us leave our car there? Is that really safe?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 PM

JFK is approx the same distance from the pier and staying in Manhattan would be very convenient. Be prepared for among the most expensive hotel pricing in the world there or to stay in a dump if you want affordable. That's about the only two choices.

Re-read my last post. For reasons of economy only, you can get a hotel across the river for rates competitive with most of the nation, with national chains you've heard of with nice rooms large enough to get out of bed without scooting to the end of the bed. Then opening the door before stepping out of bed so you can actually open the door to the hallway or bathroom, some reall are that small. That is, if you can find an affordable hotel in NY that actually has a private bathroom in your room. NYC has pricey Real Estate and high taxes, as a result very high cost for hotels in the city or in Manhattan especially.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kclvt:
Where is a good place to stay if driving down the night before? My husband and I plan on driving from Vermont next year. Should we plan on parking in their lot or is there a motel that will let us leave our car there? Is that really safe?
I've heard good things about the La Quinta near the airport and pier. It's not cheap but clean, large rooms and convenient. I understand they offer free secure and lighted parking for cruise guests and a courtesy shuttle from the airport to the hotel and/or hotel to pier. Call to verify, promotions and policies can change, especially with gas on the rise.

Penny has more knowledge of Ft Lauderdale than anyone on cruise-chat that I know of. She's posted very good advice about other hotels in the area. You can either do a search with key words with the little magnifying glass thingy for her previous posts on the subject. Or find any of her recent posts and PM (private message) her and ask. She's a wealth of information on cruising and FLL. Maybe she'll see your post and respond.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM

How did FLL get into the conversation?

If you fly into New York Laguardia airport (LGA) is closer to Manhattan than JFK. Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave is a decent location to walk to Times Square. If you fly into Newark, New Jersey (EWR) you will be about 15 minutes from the Bayonne Pier. Check out this website here.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Oops, that's my bad! I've been reading too many threads tonight. Got 'em confused. Please disregard anything about FLL. Got interupted in the process of replying, to apparently the wrong post.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, cape, cruise, embarkation, ewr, hotel, liberty, newark, package, parking, pier, port, review, reviews, security, transportation