Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 PM

We plan to fly into Rome (FCO) a couple days early before boarding a cruise in Civitavecchia, and I'm given the following transfer options when booking online:

- No transfer (free)
- Transfer to ship $130
- Rome City Center to Ship $150

I assume the 2nd option is from the airport?

Anyway, if we plan to spend a couple nights at a hotel in Rome, does it make sense to buy the cruise transfer or should we arrange private transportation? Not sure I like the train idea (I've heard it's a hassle with luggage, and can be dangerous).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
How many in your party? $150 pp. from the city to the port sounds high. If there are enough of you I would think you could rent a private shuttle for less than the ship transfer.

I would also look closer at the train; many have said here how easy it is--and safe.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 AM

There are only 2 of us. I thought the train wouldn't be so bad, but someone on this forum was robbed twice on the train in Rome! I don't know if that risk is worth saving a few bucks. I'm still considering it as an option though (don't want to get lost on my own either).

Can you recommend any particular transfer companies? Or is it not going to save us any money with only 2 passengers?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 AM

I think it is not really cheaper to take a taxi or transfer for you 2. Take the train or bus and as in each bigger town in Europe or America you always have to take care of your luggage. But it's important to inform yourself in time about the transittime from the City of Rome to Chivitavecchia
Best regards
Udo
Old 03-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Unless you are staying at a hotel that provides complimentary shuttle service to the airport - you aren't saving yourself any money by returning to the airport to catch the ship's transfer. With that said, private transfers from a Rome hotel to the port are not cheap. The best price I have found for a private transfer is 110 Euro.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Like you we are flying in to Rome (4 days) prior to a cruise from Civitavecchia. We plan to take the train. We've taken many, many trains in Italy and have never had any problems.

Take a look at Italian Trains. The little button for English is in the upper right corner. Try for a connection on the IC trains (not local) for a faster trip.

When are you cruising? We go June 12th.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
When are you cruising? We go June 12th.
Our cruise leaves May 5th.

Closed Thread

Tags
chivitavecchia, costa, cruise, fco, italy, messina, port, private, reviewsfor, rome, safe, ship, transfer, transfers, transport