Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 AM

HI, We are going on the Navigator this summer!!!
We are not going to use RCCL transfers. How much would a taxi ride be for 4 people to the port of Miami from F.Lauderdale? It seems that this would be a lot cheaper and we would like to stop for liquor, soda, ect on the way? Is there a store close by the port? Also, has anyone used the early disembarkment off the ship (starts at 6:30AM)? You don't put your luggage out, you just walk off early. If I book a 9:00AM flight, will I be cutting it to close? The next flight is at 11:20?? Thanks!!!
DCL Wonder 2007
RCL Enchantment of the Seas 2008
Princess Diamond 2009
RCL Oasis of the Seas 2010
Old 02-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nat:
HI, We are going on the Navigator this summer!!!
We are not going to use RCCL transfers. How much would a taxi ride be for 4 people to the port of Miami from F.Lauderdale? It seems that this would be a lot cheaper and we would like to stop for liquor, soda, ect on the way? Is there a store close by the port? Also, has anyone used the early disembarkment off the ship (starts at 6:30AM)? You don't put your luggage out, you just walk off early. If I book a 9:00AM flight, will I be cutting it to close? The next flight is at 11:20?? Thanks!!!
A cab from FLL to Dodge Island is about $70 not counting tip. But the thing is most taxis cannot accomodate 4 people and and their luggage, unless they keep the number of bags down. I can't speak to convenience stores enroute.

9am is much too early. Don't assume that you can leave the ship at 6:30am, early debarkation or otherwise. The ship cannot debark passengers until Customs says so. Actually, the 11:20 flight from FLL may be pushing it. You still have to consider the ride is at least 45 minutes from the port to FLL. And then you have the TSA checkpoint to get through.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Thanks Dave, do you think that I should use RCCL transfers?? I believe RCCL is $64.00 per person, maybe I would be better off, less worry!!
DCL Wonder 2007
Princess Diamond 2009
Old 02-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Using the cruise line transfers usually means less worry. It can be worth the extra cost. For the past few years we have gone the limo route. It isn't as expensive as one might think and the service helps make things much more comfortable.

It just occurred to me that you are flying down on the same day as the cruise departs. Is that correct?

The reason I ask is that it really isn't a good idea to do that. Too many risks with late flights, etc. This has always been true, but even more in these port 9/11 days. I always encourage cruisers to get to their departure port a day earlier. This is another variant of "less worry", which is worth the price of a hotel room. Plus you are not harried from a day of travel when you get to the ship. You'll be rested and if any bags were lost on your flight down, they usually can be found within 24 hours and delivered to your hotel.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:54 PM

Can you tell we haven't taken a cruise in over 12 years ! If we fly out Friday we have to take a late flight out and I hate to keep the kids up that late, not sure?? There is and earlier AM flight out on Saturday?? Are there any other companys that offer shuttle service? Thanks so much Dave, I really appreciate all your help!!! So much to think about!!
DCL Wonder 2007
Princess Diamond 2009
Old 02-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Nat,

If the flight schedules don't work out for your personal schedule, well, as we say in Alabama: then you gotta do what you gotta do.

The subject of transportation from FLL to MIA, or to the Port Of Miami (I call it Dodge Island), has always been one of those things that is weak on the internet. You just can't find a lot of answers, even by Googling it. There are shuttle services, but I don't have any info on them. Usually, just going to the transportation desk by the baggage claim can reap rewards. They'll have all the answers and can get you going to the port. But I am not sure it is that much cheaper than using RCCL's buses. And a big factor will be the return flight. Using RCCL's transfer on the return means you will be taken care of a lot better than trying to do it on your own - unless you have a limo or car service waiting for you at the pier.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:39 PM

Nat, if you do have to fly down the same day as the cruise, you should definitely consider buying travel insurance from a third-party company, such as TravelSafe, TravelGuard or TravelInsured. (Not that you shouldn't consider it anyway!) Check into the policy before you buy, to see if it will cover you for missing embarkation due to flight delays and cancellations. If you booked through a travel agent, ask her/him to book insurance for you that will cover you in case you miss the boat due to late flights.

And if you do have to fly down on Saturday, yes, the earlier flight, the better.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:49 PM

HI, Thank you all! We are getting travel insurance, we can not risk to lose all that $$! You never know what can happen between now and then! It sounds like I should go with RCCl transfers and not worry about it.
DCL Wonder 2007
Princess Diamond 2009
Old 02-26-2006, 02:56 PM

Karen,
I can't believe you called the ship a boat! OUCH!!

Closed Thread

Tags
disembarkment, early, monarch, oasis, order, sea, seas, time