Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Default New York City
With the recent announcment of The Carnival Miracle sailing to the Caribbean out of NYC, those of us in the Great White North (Toronto area) now have a viable option to drive to our Embarkation Port, saving the flight costs for our Sign and Sail Account. I need some advice from someone familiar with the area.

1. What are some nice Hotels that are reasonably close to the Terminal, and not ridiculously high priced? The hotels would need to allow us to park while on board, and a shuttle would be preferred. The kids would love an indoor pool as well, but this is optional.

2. Is the Terminal in a fairly nice area of the City, making it worthwhile to come a few days early to be tourists?

3. We found Port Canaveral very well organized. Can we expect more of the same in NYC?

4. Any inside tips or ideas would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!

Carnival Dream April 2010
Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

There are two facilities in NYC for cruise ships. I'm not sure which one the Miracle will use. Here is the city's cruise website.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Carnival should be using the New York Pier 88/90/92 at 711 12th avenue and 55th St. Any of the hotels in the Times Square area would be a good location. I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave once and a Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th St. It's a short taxi ride from any of the hotels in the Times Square area. You will want to allow time for backed up traffic. It can be very congested in the terminal for check-in.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 AM

Smile
Giving yourself a couple of days to see NYC if you have never been is so worthwhile. So much to see and do. If you like theater, you could check out prices for a matinee and walk around Broadway and take in Times Square and other points of interest. There are also many tour buses that would take you around the points of interest saving you lots of time and the hassel of taking taxis.
Enjoy "The Big Apple".

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Don't forget the marvelous deli sandwiches, they're awesome!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Good advice above. NYC is definitely worth a few days' stay, as there's so much to see and do. The area immediately around the pier is nearly desolate, so I also suggest staying in the Times Square area. So is the area just to its north, bordered by Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) and West 57th Street. I have heard of a couple of hotels near the pier, yet don't have any first-hand experience.

One thing about New York--once you park your car, you won't need it again during your stay. (Bring comfortable shoes for walking.) Some hotels may offer a cruise-and-park package, yet it will cost $$. There's also parking at the cruise terminal for $30 per night, which is a bargain for NYC.

As for attractions, Times Square is cool, as is the lower part of Central Park. I was in NYC just a few weeks ago, visiting friends who were about to embark on a Bermuda cruise, and we took the three-hour Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. It was fabulous--and this comes from a native New Yorker. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I've cruised Carnival out of New York a couple of times and found it very organized.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the help all!!! Lots to think about. My lovely wife had a question as well.

What about staying outside the city and driving in the morning of the Cruise? There have to be some far less expensive hotels within an hours drive that also have indoor pools. This would save money on the hotel, which we would probably pay out on parking at the pier. Is this a plausible idea, or would the traffic getting to the pier be that much of a deterrent?

Thanks again!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM

There are some hotels, particularly at airports, that have a deal that you stay at the hotel for one night pre-cruise, and the cost of the hotel includes leaving your car there for the week you're away.

For example, there a hotel near LaGuardia that charges under $200 for a room (including all tax) and lets you keep your car there at no additional charge. They have a shuttle from the hotel to the pier that costs about $45 each way for up to 4 people.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM

Sandy, that is exactly what I am looking for!!! Can you please tell me the name of that particular hotel?

Thanks!!!

Tags
car, carnival, city, cruise, embarkation, hotels, miracle, ny, nyc, park, parking, pier, port, reviews, ships, york