Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/)
-   -   More headaches for cruisers headed to Port Everglades (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/38264-more-headaches-cruisers-headed-port-everglades.html)

Dave 07-15-2012 11:26 AM

More headaches for cruisers headed to Port Everglades

Oh good. Traffic at Port Everglades has been a pain anyway, and now it will be worse for at least a year. News Report

f-mattox 07-16-2012 07:27 PM

We're flying in a day or two early for the Ruby Princess cruise in November; but we disembark on a Sunday and I'm wondering if it might not be worth it to stay over and fly out on Monday. I've seen as many as four and five ships in port on Sunday. Any thoughts?

Dave 07-16-2012 08:11 PM

Hard to say Rick. I guess all we have to go on are reports from people debarking at Port Everglades over the next several weeks. I don't think it will be so bad as to hold off until the next day to fly home. But I won't be making any air reservations that push the envelope.

Cruise Fanatic 07-16-2012 09:09 PM

Ever since the Oasis and Allure came out the FLL airport has been taxed. When you have 5400-6400 people coming off one ship alone (Oasis on Saturday/Allure on Sunday), plus all the other ships in port. That makes for a lot of traffic.

f-mattox 07-16-2012 09:42 PM

Thanks Jan and Dave; I think just "not pushing the envelope" is probably the way to go. Most hotels have 3:00 p.m. check-in times anyway, so you're going to have to wait around either way.

poormom 07-27-2012 09:46 AM

I'll be there in 2 weeks :D :D :D
I'll let you know what I find. I'm not sure what the flights to the west coast look like, but I did stay over one Sunday and fly out Monday last year. I think my flight left around 6am ( aka O dark thirty) and I was surprised how busy it was already.
Sometimes the flights are so expensive later in the day on Sunday, especially for 2 of more, it's cheaper to spend the night if you find the right rate on a hotel.

penny3333 07-30-2012 08:50 AM

The airport is so close to the port, it seems ridiculous to me that they didn't put in some type of a elevated monorail system from the airport to the port. They know how horrible getting into and out of the port is, and has been for years. It would probably be easier to walk, but then you'd have to cross 10 lanes of traffic, which wouldn't be a very safe task. They didn't even put in an overhead walk, they could have done that with moving sidewalks. City planners are way behind times.

Dave 07-30-2012 09:32 AM

I like the idea of a monorail. Instead there is a never-ending procession of taxis and shuttles making laps between the port and the airport. "Next stop: Oasis Of The Seas, Ruby Princess after that" says the computerized voice.