Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Default Texas To Begin Taxing Booze And Cigarettes at Galveston Cruise Port
Cruising from Galveston in 2014? If you bring booze or cigarettes back, be prepared to pay a state tax - $3.50 per fifth of liquor for example. The state TABC will have officers with their own checkpoints as you leave the terminal. I imagine if you say you have nothing and they pull you aside for a baggage search and find you are lying, it won't be good.

Read more here.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM

That's a bunch of crap. How can the state take precedence over the Duty Free? I like how it says in the end the TABC is working to make any disruption to port procedures and delays to people at a minimum. They're adding something that wasn't there before so it's a disruption and delay no matter how minimal time it takes.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Yep. Just two checkpoints for the booze tax and you've got ships that carry over 3000 passengers such as the Navigator Of The Seas and Carnival Magic, and they say they will 'minimize' delays? Yeah right.

There are legalities involved. If I don't live in Texas and will go directly from the ship to my car of the airport, I am in transit. Why should I be taxed if I live in Alabama and will going home with my liquor? Does Texas stop people driving through the state to see if they have booze in their car so they can tax it?

This is just petty nonsense brought up by some tedious bureaucrat in the Texas ABC board to show he or she has power with the legislature. How much money do they expect to raise? It probably won't cover the salaries and overhead costs for the port checkpoints and officers.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yep. Just two checkpoints for the booze tax and you've got ships that carry over 3000 passengers such as the Navigator Of The Seas and Carnival Magic, and they say they will 'minimize' delays? Yeah right.

There are legalities involved. If I don't live in Texas and will go directly from the ship to my car of the airport, I am in transit. Why should I be taxed if I live in Alabama and will going home with my liquor? Does Texas stop people driving through the state to see if they have booze in their car so they can tax it?

This is just petty nonsense brought up by some tedious bureaucrat in the Texas ABC board to show he or she has power with the legislature. How much money do they expect to raise? It probably won't cover the salaries and overhead costs for the port checkpoints and officers.
Is the port of Mobile equipped to handle a dream class vessel?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Administrator

The Dream class are probably too large for Mobile. The turnaround basin is the problem.

Of course, Alabama has it's own issues with cruise ship liquor. When Holiday and then Elation were in port, they could only serve from a restricted bar menu, and had to charge sales tax on each drink. Beers, wines, and liquors that are not sold in Alabama could not be sold by the ships either. They opened it up when the ship hit the Gulf and was no longer in Alabama waterways.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Cruising from Galveston in 2014? If you bring booze or cigarettes back, be prepared to pay a state tax - $3.50 per fifth of liquor for example. The state TABC will have officers with their own checkpoints as you leave the terminal. I imagine if you say you have nothing and they pull you aside for a baggage search and find you are lying, it won't be good.

Read more here.
Here is a funny thing, last night I had a dream that I was reading a press release that the State of Florida was going to follow Texas's lead and start taxing the cruise ship liquor.

I thought to myself "OK, Carnival has 7 Ships in Miami. Not for much longer". Then I woke up.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Given all the Florida ports, they'd be looking at a lot of tax money.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 PM

As if Florida doesn't already tax you to death.

Tags
alcohol, checkpoints, cigerattes, cruise, galveston, liquor, moehobbiinfo, port, ship, ships, tabc, tax, taxes, texas, tx