Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Default Quebec City disembarkation
We have just booked on the Ruby Princess for our 40th wedding anniversary, our 21st Princess cruise. We sail from New York to Quebec where we disembark. I am thinking of flying round trip to NYC and taking the train back there from Quebec with a stopover in Toronto. I believe the rail station is fairly close to the dock in Quebec but am not sure. Can anyone help me on that one, please? Thanks.
Also, we have one day in Quebec City before we disembark. Do you recommend staying longer? We've spent quite a bit of time in France so I am not sure just how big a novelty it will be. That said, I'm really happy to be going there! Thanks for any guidance.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Chris,

Actually both VIA rail stations are close to where the ship will dock. Gare Du Palais is the main station and probably the best choice. It is just a few minutes away. Quebec City is interesting, but it isn't France. Some really interesting architecture. I'd say the day you are there with the cruise will suffice.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Administrator

I was just thinking about this topic and I recall an interesting episode about Toronto on Anthony Bourdain's Layover TV show. Toronto has a reputation for being boring and ugly, but there is more to the place when you get past the outward appearances. Might be something to consider and look around there too, as well as Quebec City.

Have you ever traveled on Amtrak? The scenery in upstate NY is lovely but the trains are likely not what you are used to in Europe.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM

I have to agree with Dave; one day if you do some homework ahead of time should be sufficient. Old Quebec is very quaint and the streets reminiscent of Europe. Taking a carriage ride thru the old city and thru the Plains of Abraham is quite nice. The Chateau Frontneac is overflooking the river, has a place in history, and the funicular is from the lower to upper part of the old city is an oddity. Of course, the food is good. We have been many times and the weather can be quite damp & dreary if its overcast or showery as you are right up from the river. Enjoy

Peter l

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Thank you for the responses. I have decided to spend only the one day in Quebec City while I am on the ship. We then plan to take the train to Toronto and will spend two nights there. From there we will go by rail to New York City and overnight there. I've also booked a round trip on Amtrak from Birmingham, Alabama to New York. We like trains almost as much as cruising. We've had month-long Eurail passes and used them extensively. I've only once taken Amtrak, from Washington DC to New York City. It was not as smooth a ride as I've experienced in Europe but the sights along the way are interesting. Thank you for your guidance. It helped me firm up our itinerary.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Administrator

How are you getting to Birmingham, Alabama for the train trip to NY? You would be surprisingly close to me when in Birmingham. I reside about 90 miles north, although the passenger rail line goes northeast through Gadsden and not near me.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:16 AM

Family drop-off, Dave. I live in Decatur, my son lives in Birmingham. A bit inconvenient but I love the idea of taking a train north instead of flying. Not a whole lot more than flying even when booking a roomette. Flying out of Huntsville is always expensive.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Just goes to show how inferring too much from a screen name can get a person in trouble. "BritChris" had me convinced you were in the UK because of the Brit. So, is it Britney?

Well, I'm in Athens and Penny3333 is in Trinity. Small world strikes again.

Also, there is a new shuttle service in Madison that has four trips per day to and from BNA.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 PM

No, it's Christine. I am British American. I've lived in the US for 40 years in September this year. That's one of the reasons for the Canada New England cruise. 40th wedding anniversary. I've lived in Alabama since 2007.
I notice you leave Sunday on the Royal. We sailed on it in December. It's a beautiful ship. Have a great time. I was surprised by the way that you and Penny live in Alabama. I've not encountered many Alabamians while cruising, and I believe none on Princess.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Administrator

I'm from NY originally. I moved to Alabama in 1984 when TVA hired me straight out of the Navy to work at Browns Ferry. I retired from TVA in 2008.

You'd be surprised at where you might meet Alabama cruisers. There is a guy in Huntsville who is active on our sister forum Cruisemates who primarily cruises ultra-lux lines, and usually 14-21 day cruises. That's too rich for my blood.

My wife's uncle is from here and cruises often, sometimes on Cunard. Cunard is too formal for me.

Thanks for the Bon Voyage! We are cruising with f-mattox this weekend, and I'm also meeting moderator Sandy for the first time - we've known each other online for 20+ years!

Tags
amtrak, city, cruise, dock, number, port, princess, quebec, ruby, station