Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/)
-   -   Transfers from Port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale Airport (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/569-transfers-port-miami-ft-lauderdale-airport.html)

Steelerfan 04-16-2009 12:13 PM

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to get from the Port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale Airport and the approximate cost. We should arrive at the port around 7 a.m. and we have an 11:45 a.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale that I cannot miss. I am very worried that this is too early. Do you think I should get a later flight? Or if we keep our luggage and just walk off with it as soon as the ship arrives, do you think we will be okay? There will definitely be four of us, possibly eight. Thank you very much!

penny3333 04-16-2009 01:30 PM

Hi Steelerfan, welcome to Cruise-Chat. It is possible you could make an 11:45, but everything would have to go smoothly. You might arrive at 7, but the ship has to be cleared by Customs and Immigration. Sometimes this happens quickly, sometimes not. If you don't do self-debarkation, then you have to find your luggage. Even taking your luggage by yourself, you will have to go through Customs. Then you have a 45 minute drive to Ft. Lauderdale (that's if the traffic is good). If you can catch a later flight, I would advise it. I wouldn't suggest anything before noon for a Miami departure. For Ft. Lauderdale, I'd suggest a 1pm or later departure. There are quite a few services, taxi/van, Shuttles, limos. If you'll look just a few posts down, at pooke's post, I placed a couple of links there that might help you. Instead of stressing yourself out at the end of a relaxing cruise, try getting a later flight. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!

Steelerfan 04-16-2009 04:30 PM

Penny,

Thank you so much for the advice. I can get a later flight, 2:40, out of FLL which goes to Atlanta. The only concern I have with that is there is only 50 minutes between arrival and departure and they have gates at two different concourses. I have to get back that evening, because my son flies to Wyoming the next day, so we have to get home. If I take the 11:45 flight, then I have a couple of hours in Atlanta before catching our flight home. Do you still think I should book the later flight? Thanks again for all of your help!!

penny3333 04-17-2009 09:04 AM

Yes, I'd book the later flight. If the change of planes in Atlanta is on the same airline, they should hold the connecting flight if there is a delay on your flight. Even though I dislike Atlanta, you can get from one concourse to the other in a short period of time. I would contact the airline and explain the situation. Then ask them if you booked the early flight what the penalty would be to get the later flight. Too bad there isn't one around 1:30, that would be just about perfect. Still, if it were me, I'd book the 2:40.