Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/)
-   -   transfers from FLL to Miami (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/embarkation-ports-hotels-transfers/707-transfers-fll-miami.html)

pooke1221 04-12-2009 09:04 AM

I am flying into FLL for a carnival cruise out of Miami. Is it better just to get transfers directly from Carnival? This is my first time taking a cruise and am not sure how this works.

arizonite 04-12-2009 04:15 PM

I rented a car from priceline with the name your own price at 25 for a mid size and dropping at miami airport. It is from national and their partner alamo will shuttle you to the port if you choose to go that way. I felt the transfers I checked into were a little expensive if you have more than one person.

penny3333 04-13-2009 09:15 AM

Hi pooke1221, welcome to Cruise-Chat. We have had many questions about the transfer from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. There are many options, cab/limo-most expensive, rental car, Super Shuttle, train service, and bus service. This might help or this might help. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!

susanmaz 04-13-2009 01:08 PM

Pooke - as Penny says, there are many options. However, if you are concerned, doing the cruiseline transfer options might be best for you. You didn't mention if you are flying in the day of sailing or prior to sailing. This will most likely impact your decision. If you're coming in the day of sailing, UI would let the cruiseline take care of the transfers... they do it all the time.

pooke1221 04-13-2009 01:49 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am flying in the day of the cruise so I probably will take advantage of booking my transfer through carnival. Thanks again

pooke1221 04-20-2009 10:49 AM

I booked my cruise through southwest. They do not offer transfers you have to book that separately. Here is my problem because I am flying the day of my cruise I thought I would book my transfer through carnival because that is the cruiseline I am using. I called carnival and they said I could not do that because I am not a travel agent. Does that sound true? That sounds a little ridiculous to me but the again I have never cruised before. Can someone help me? Should I just wait until I get to the airport to book the transfer? I did not want to do that because I am the kind of person that would like this settled before and not have to worry about it. Can someone please clear this up for me? Thanks

penny3333 04-20-2009 11:58 AM

No, actually, I've never heard of not being able to book the cruise line shuttle because you're not a travel agent. Maybe Dave, Island Cruise or Cruise Fanatic can help.

susanmaz 04-20-2009 12:34 PM

Pooke - I've never heard of such a thing, either. Did you check the Carnival website to see if you can book the transfers online?

Cruise Fanatic 04-20-2009 12:43 PM

This is a good example why not to book cruises through an airline distribution channel. Airlines shouldn't be selling cruises, cars, and hotels. They should sell only what they do best, and that's air. It's no wonder they're all losing money! Now that I've ranted.... Southwest is acting as an agent for Carnival. Shame on them for not offering all parts of that cruise package. Another reason to use a real travel agent. Real travel agents will offer you service. Carnival is saying they can't sell you transfers because you aren't the agency that booked it. Carnival will not make changes to a booking that is booked by an agency. If you can call Southwest and talk to an actual human being you need to tell them to call Carnival and add them. There shouldn't be any reason they can't do this if your air schedule meets the arrival and departure times Carnival requires. If Southwest won't do this then they are either too lazy or too stupid to know what they're doing. It might be easier to just use alternative means of transfer. There are several shuttles, car rentals, and limousine services.

pooke1221 04-20-2009 01:49 PM

Thanks cruise fanatic,
The only reason I booked through southwest is because carnival was not offering the penthouse suite room and southwest was. Do you know of any reliable limo service or shuttle service that I should go through. Remember I am new to this and I want this to be as unstressful as possible.