Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 PM

I a taking my 80 year old mom on a cruise and and trying to make it as effortless as possible. we are flying into Fr. Lauderdale (free tickets on Southwest which doesn't fly into Miami) and renting a car and staying over at miami beach. I need to return car and get to the port. Do I catch a cab from the airport or go back to hotel and catch one from there or does NCL have a transfer company? Also, what time should I get to the port for a 4PM departure. I don't want her to have to stand around for a long time and I am concerned about her going up what sounds like a steep ramp. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I have read that you can return a rental cart (not sure which company ) near the port & they will shuttle you to the pier

I would check with the rental car company if you can return the car near the port

I would go to the port around noon
If she has mobility issues speak to someone at the entrance they may be able to take her in a lower level ramp or ask for assistance with a wheelchair
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I called the car rental and they do take you to the port.

Glad to hear they may help her at the port. She refuses to use a wheelchair, stubborn little lady. Determined to do it on her own, but I have to watch her and not let her outdo herself early. I may get her in a wheelchair for the ramp.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Quote:
I may get her in a wheelchair for the ramp.
That might be a good idea .
we had a lady on our Princess cruise who fell on the steep ramp getting onboard ...she spent most of the cruise in her cabin or in a wheelchair...not a good way to start a vacation
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 AM
We got to the port around noon as LHT suggested in December (tho parking was NOT at all fun....something that you will not have to deal with luckily). Had very short waits in each of the lines for boarding, so your mom should be just fine!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi Arizonite,
I recently did a similar trip with my 82 year old mother, and a rental car out of Tampa. LOL...I get the same stubborness, but God Bless Her, she gets around pretty good. I do get her to use the wheelchairs at airports and cruises for the VIP treatment through security. I pulled the rental car up to the valet, and tipped him and told him that I would be back in under an hour. I went with my Mom on board through security, through check-in, pictures and on board in our room. Once Mom was settled, I went back out picked up the rental car, took it back, and took the shuttle back luggage free, back on the ship, all in about an hour and a half. Not for everyone, but worked for me.
Admiral-1988
Monarch of the Seas-1993
Song of America-1994
Majesty of the Seas-1995
Splendour of the Seas-1996
CCL Destiny-1997
Empress of the Seas-1998
Rhapsody of the Seas-1998
Legend of the Seas-1999
Monarch of the Seas-2000
Windstar-2002
Grandeur of the Seas-2006
CCL Ecstasy-2006
Enchantment of the Seas-2006
Adventure of the Seas-2007
Enchantment of the Seas-2007
Grandeur of the Seas-2009
Radiance of the Seas-2009
Celebrity Century-2010

Closed Thread

Tags
80, cruise, embarkation, majesty, miami, mobility, ncl, port, rental, scooter, seas, terminal, wheelchair, wheelchairs, years