Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 07:29 AM

I know that this question has been asked many times and that using the find section can be very useful. I have found that there are very few current recommendations for hotels in Ft Lauderdale and wondering if anyone has stayed over in the last 6 months or so and can recommend a moderately price hotel for a stay prior to cruise? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Having transportation included would be a plus.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Last November, we stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania. They had free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise terminal, and free breakfast for the morning. They are literally next door to a Walgreens, so we didn't pack any of the TSA inspection busters - we just bought what we needed when we got there. There is a shopping center across the street with a grocery store, at the time an excellant Spanish/Mexican restaurant, Italian restaurant and small take out Chinese restaurant and a dollar store (which was great because I picked up some extra hangars which I then left in the cabin, AND a 20 oz plastic glass for my tea and water instead of using the little 8 oz glasses in the LIDO . . .)Because it's farther away from the pier the price was so much more reasonable than staying within the 3 mile radius . . If you're planning on staying longer than just the night before, you will probably want to find someplace closer / in town.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Sleep Inn probably isn't too bad. I typically stay at Comfort Inns, which is owned by the same company, Choice Hotels. I haven't stayed at any of them in that area, but according to their website, there are two other hotels that offer shuttle service to both Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades.

The hotels are the Comfort Inn Airport / Cruise Port South and the Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport West. I don't know what days you were planning on staying. If you're an AAA member, make sure you specify that when reserving, as this may save you about 10%.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Thank you both for your input; anyone else out there with recent stays?

Peterl

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Peter l, we just stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper. It's not far from the port. Very clean and large rooms, but we couldn't find a good restaurant in the hotel. There are plenty near by, however. The Renaissance has been purchased by someone else, Pier 66 is always nice, Embassy Suites is very close to the port as well. If you stay at one on 17th Street Causeway, there's a cute/decent food restaurant/bar on Cordova called the Southport Bar/Grill. They have fresh seafood at reasonable prices. Pier 66 bar and grill is on the intracoastal and has fantastic food. They're pretty pricey, but 1 entree can be split by 2 and you'll be full.

My favorite restaurant is the Sea Watch, but that's in north Lauderdale, and you'd have to take a cab. The water taxi runs up and down the intracoastal, it's furthest stop has 2 great restaurants, Shooters and Charlie's Crabs. There's also a Greek restaurant there, but I haven't tried it.

February is still the height of their season, but with the economy the way it is, they may have come off of their prices a bit there. The Sleep Inn may be a good alternative, too. Dania is on the south end of Lauderdale, not far to the port. I used to go fishing off the end of the pier at night there.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Hi Penny.. We stayed there once when we booked a prenite with Celebrity before they changed the name to Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I did check and the pricing during Feb break was expensive. When I was checking the Google map, I noticed a Best Western right next door that was $100. less for the night. Do you or anyone else know anything about this hotel??
I do like that area as the beach and some restaurants are close by and if I remember, the water taxi is available nearby. I also checked the Sleep Inn on many recommendations and the price was $50 less than Best Western and does offer transportation to hotel and to the cruiseport, which Best Western does not, but Sleep Inn is not really near to much - so thats the trade off. Both do offer free breakfasts also. Thanks again.

Peterl

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM

No, we haven't stayed at the Best Western. I've usually had good luck with them. If they offer free transportation, for $100/less, sounds like it could be a good plan. We stayed at the Sea Club and the TropiRock, too, but they don't offer any transportation. They both ran around $100/night and are a little further up the beach (around Sunrise Boulevard). We drive down, so have transporation. Now, if I could just find some inexpensive parking, I'd be happy.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Actually Penny, this Best Western does not offer transportation to Hotel and to Cruiseport but I figure it can't cost more than $20 for two for each transfer. It would be a trade off of + $90. from Sleep Inn to Best Western based on room cost and transfers. I think if I can check some reviews on Best Western it may be a good stay based on location and fact that we have stayed in the area before and know what to expect. Thanks for you reply Penny.

Peterl

Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM

We returned from our trip in late September and used Priceline for booking our hotels. It saved us a lot of money and allowed us to stay at places we would otherwise not be able to afford. I was nervous about doing so but found HotelDealsRevealed.com to be a great help. Priceline is not for everyone though. Don't use it if you might have to cancel or if you want a very specific hotel.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

I just made our air reservations for next June so next up on my list is pre-cruise hotel. I usually like to stay someplace where I get reward points or can use them, such at with Hilton Honors.

Hotel shuttles are okay, but they can be more trouble than they are worth if lots of guests are wanting to use them and the hotel doesn't have enough shuttle capacity. I'll pay for a ride if it means avoiding a wait or being a sardine.

Tags
cruise, fort, ft, hotel, hotels, lauderdale, mexican, pier, post, princess, restaurants, reviews, stay, taxi, water