Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Embarkation Ports, Hotels, and Transfers
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 05:07 PM

We will be flying into Newark to cruise on Celebrity's Zenith out of Bayonne, NJ. Would it be better financially to take Celebrity's transportation round-trip to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal ($50/each) or take a taxi from the airport to the terminal? I realize a taxi would be swifter but would it be more expensive? Any idea what is the going taxi rate in today's volatile market of high gas prices? Thank you.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:31 PM

A taxi from the Newark airport will run about $30-35. So, if you are traveling with another person, the taxi would be best.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 AM

NancyN, thanks for the swift response. As I was looking through this website, I noticed that someone had posted a question about the availability (or unavailability) of taxis FROM Cape Liberty BACK to Newark Airport. Would you (or anyone else) have any comments about catching a cab back to the airport when the ship returns?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:07 AM

Having just come from Cape Lberty last week-end, I agree that taxis were not readily available atthe port for the return trip. But, there were a number of small shuttle buses offering transport at the port. I am not sure of their cost as my transportation was covered. I might suggest you plan to purchase the one-way return through the cruise line (available at the pursers desk once you are onboard).
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 PM

Great, Nancy. Our cruise isn't until late summer, but I really like to plan ahead and know my options; and with your help, I can make a decision now and rest my mind. At this point in time, I will take a taxi to the cruise terminal and purchase a return to the airport from the purser's desk. I did NOT know that a shuttle return would be available on board and was under the impression that this had to be done beforehand. Again, thank you for the information.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:43 PM

Nancy, I did take one of the shuttle bus from Cape Liberty and the cost was $14.00 each way. We paid $70 for a taxi from the Liberty Marriott to the port.

Tom
Old 05-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Wow Tom, that is a huge price difference than the taxi cost I was quoted! The rate that I shared was based on an agent that I spoke with while waiting to board the Freedom. They didn't want to wait for the cruise lines bus transportation and their taxi was $35 w/tip. I wonder why the huge price variance? But, it appears that the shuttle bus may be the way to go.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 AM

Tom/Nancy,
When I got off the Freedom in Bayonne on 16 May the traffic leaving the port was horrific. I was glad I was on the shuttle bus and not in a metered cab. It took 1/2 hour just to get from the ship out of the terminal/parking area and down that road that leads out of the pier.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 AM

We had the same problem. There were several accidents plugging up the surrounding streets. It was a nightmare. It was almost 2 hours to get to the airport once we boarded the shuttle bus. Taxis were non-existent.

Tom
Old 05-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Tom: If you don't mind my asking, with whom did you arrange the shuttle? Company name? etc. How would one get in touch with them? Website? Was it round-trip from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty? The price you state is very good and my options change according to the savings in my pocketbook.

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, bus, cape, cruise, ewr, gardens, liberty, newark, port, service, shuttle, shuttles, terminal, transportation, wyndham