Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Hello,
Is there any advantage to buying HOHO Bus passes in advance from Viator for Florence and Rome? ie (HOHO buses won't take Credit Cards or Viator tags on a commission (anyone know?)). I can't seem to find a website for HOHO Buses. I just seem to get transferred to Viator. Using a credit card would be an advantage but I don't know if they have the cabability if you just Hop on somewhere in the route.
PS And yes, my teenagers are having a blast with the name "HOHO" bus.
Your advice would be very appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 AM

Interesting how everything hop-on hop-off seems to go to the same site. Good IT guys at Viator.
You might want to check out
HoHo

I'd simply wait till I got to Rome. The tourist info office (near track 24) at Termini sells the HoHo tickets. They takce CC; at least they did for Roma Pass.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Using the HoHo in Rome does make some sense since the main sites are spread around the city in a few different locations. But for Florence, I think the HoHo is not a smart buy for anyone capable of walking a few blocks. The reason is that the main tourist part of Florence is encapsuled within a relatively compact area, and its best explored on foot rather than wasting time waiting for the next bus (it can be 45 min). The only major site not in that compact area is the Academia (David). If you intend to go to the Academia it would be more efficient (and possible cheaper) to use a taxi (you can walk to that site in about 30 min).

Hank
Old 05-18-2008, 09:48 AM

I am in total agreement with what Hank has said about Florence. Not only is the main tourist area compact, it is, for the most part, pedestrian only. Therefore a bus would be of not uses.
Take a city bus to Academia (1 Euro) and there are several that go there that depart along the street between the train station and the Duomo (via dei Panzani, via dei Cerretani or via Martelli) You want the bus that goes to Piazza San Marco. Not in a big hurry? Enjoy the lovely walk.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM

Hi Hank and Ft!
Thanks again for your input. I'm a little concerned about your estimate of a "30 min. walk" and a "taxi" suggestion to get to Accademia? Our ship will be in Livorno from 7A to 8P. We hope to catch either the 8:11A or 9:11A train to Firenze SMN , arriving either at 9:33A or 10:33A(?). We have reservations at Accademia for 11:15A. We rec'd a very good map from the Firenze Tourism folks and it looks to be about 850 meters from SMN to Accademia; then,about 500 meters to Duomo; then, about 550 meters to Ponte Vecchio; then, about 930 meters back to SMN to catch the 3:27 train to Pisa. We'd like to "walk" Firenze as much as possible and see things as we go. The only "tour" will be Accademia. But, one of our group doesn't walk all that well. Do you think these things are "walkable" and in the time frame given? Or, should we consider a taxi to Accademia, especially if we miss the first train?
Thanks again,
Mike

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, buses, buy, city, cruise, florence, good, ho, hoho, operated, review, rome, suggestion, terminal, tickets, viator