Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 AM

We will be stopping in Portofino and Porteferraro- can we go to Cinque Terra from either of these ports?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Well, you certainly not go from Portoferraio since that is the main city on the island of Elbe (you would have to be quite a swimmer to get to the mainland). From Portofino it is possible, but unless you are on a tour or have your own rental car its a bit of a hassle. You would have to get a bit inland to the nearest train station which will take some time not to mention the waiting time for the next train. If you are interested in doing this let me know here with a post and I will do a little homework on the best train station and connections. I am guessing you do not have a lot of experience in Europe so your best bet might be to take a cruise line tour (I personally hate their tours but its good if you are not adventuress) or hire a private car/driver/guide for the day (best pre-booked on-line). The other option is to rent a car and drive yourselves, but I hestiate to recommend this unless you have some experience driving in Italy (its crazy but fun).

Hank
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

We did go there from Portofino a couple of years ago. You can take a bus or taxi from Portofino to the train station in Santa Margherita to the Cinqe Terra. We were fortunate to go with someone we'd met on Cruise Critic who was familiar with the trains and where to go. I would not have been so anxious to go on my own, but it really wasn't that difficult. We took the train to the furthest village and walked between the first three. We then go on the train to the next village before returning to the ship. We didn't sail until later that evening so we weren't as concerned about returning in time to board.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cinque, critic, cruise, good, italy, le, livorno, margherita, port, portitaly, private, rentals, santa, terra, train