Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM

Is there a road in Skala Harbor that goes up to Fira? I mean, can you rent a car, pick it up at the harbor, and then drive up to the town of Fira (avoiding the cable car or donkey)?
If not, after you get off the ship's tender, do you have to take the cable car (or donkeys) to go up to the town to pick up the car?
Thanks!
eslleslie
Old 07-09-2006, 04:43 PM

You will have to take the cable car or donkeys up to Fira. You will most likely want to use the cable cars as the donkeys take a long time and are a rough ride. You could be spending your time on Santorini in a much better way than riding a donkey. Make sure you go to Io to the north and the black sand beaches on the southeast. Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 AM

maloney,
Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know why the car rental place wouldn't let me pick up the car at the port!
eslleslie
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 PM

The "cable car" is actually a funicular which goes up tracks. I only mention this in case you are afraid of heights. Once you reach the upper station (in Fira) you have to walk a few blocks to get to any of the rental car dealers.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:35 AM

When we were in Santorini several days ago, my husband arranged for a rental car at the harbor (30 euro for the day!) which we then picked up at the top after our cable car ride. Since we got a late start to the day, we just took it to Kamari Beach and explored a little. Wish we had more time to explore this beautiful island.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 PM

I can't imagine missing the donkey ride up to Fira. It's great fun and the scenery is amazing. Quite easy to reach the car rental from end of the road. Cable car is a better alternative for return trip down; after a day of sight-seeing a donkey ride may not be the perfect activity. Have fun!

Closed Thread

Tags
back, donkey, fira, greece, harbor, harbors, port, powered, rentals, sanitinori, santorini, schedule, skala, track, vbulletin