Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

My husband and I booked a transatlantic crossing with the following ports: Malaga, Gibraltar, Tangier, Casablanca, Agadir, Lanzarote, Tenerife and LaPalma. I am going crazy trying to find information on whether I should book excursions at all ports or not. Has anyone been to any of these ports? Can you walk to things without booking excursions? Can anyone offer any information? I greatly appreciate anything you can offer.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:43 PM

My husband and I booked a transatlantic crossing with the following ports: Malaga, Gibraltar, Tangier, Casablanca, Agadir, Lanzarote, Tenerife and LaPalma. I am going crazy trying to find information on whether I should book excursions at all ports or not. Has anyone been to any of these ports? Can you walk to things without booking excursions? Can anyone offer any information? I greatly appreciate anything you can offer.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Hi adrienne, I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I would answer you. This is out of my area but I might suggest you try using the find button on your csreen and searching them port by port. There is enough info in the search files from almost any topic to provide some valuable information.

If I book anything I do it on the ship and sometimes on the day of arrival at the port. I like to see how I feel and what the weather will be like. I also like to talk to others at my dinner table and get their feedback. Sometimes the person at the excursion desk aboard is helpful and knowledgable and sometimes they're not, but I like to ask if it's worth a hoot anyway.

I know, I know, there are a bunch of people who will tell you this is terrible advice, all the good ones will sell out! In my experience that's sales hype on the part of the cruiselines that many people parrot. Do things sell out, yes, occasionally. I've never found an excursion I couldn't live without or find something suitable to do as a replacement. Often when I explore on my own I have a better time and usually spend a fraction of the excursion cost that way.

Hope someone else can provide you more usefull information.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-17-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks, Neil, for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. I will definitely take your advice and do more research port by port. I tend to be somewhat of a worry wart, so waiting until we get on the ship is tough for me. But I may just have to "suck-it-up" and wait, since this is a bit out of my rhelm.

Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Adrienne, you may also want to go to the cruiseline's website with your booking # and pre-register. Once you have registered you'll be able to see all the excursion choices for your particular cruise and book them if there is something you like, right on the website. I don't know which cruiseline you're on or I could probably tell you where on the website to look.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
I've been to three of the ports and can tell you that Barcelona has a great hop-on-hop-off bus with three routes that take you all over the city. It is not expensive and you get off and walk around the areas you want to see.
Gibraltar is also great for walking around and there are taxis if you want to go up the rock to see the monkeys or caves, or alternately there are shore excursions for that.
Casablanca is hard since the ships dock quite a way out of the city and it will cost $30.00 just for a taxi to take you in to the main square and drop you off. There are lots of taxis at the pier that you can hire for a tour, but they are expensive. Find another couple to go with to cut costs. Alternately, this is one port where you might consider paying the extra for one of the ship's excursions.

Need some cruise help?

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, cruise, excursions, long, miami, nov, review, reviews, tenerife, transatlantic