Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to get to London from Southampton? We are planning to spend an extra day or two in London following our cruise.

So happy to have discovered this site....thanks to all for sharing such valuable information.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:48 PM

TMR, welcome to cruise-chat! There are several independant transfer companies. Depending on the cruiseline, some offer transportation only on the date of the sailing and some will provide them to/from a central location for those coming in early or staying after. If this is not an option, try a few of the independant ones below.

www.cruisetransfer.com
www.silver-fleet.co.uk
www.dot2.com
www.limo.co.uk
www.londontaxitour.com

I don't have any first hand experience with any. Hopefully someone here has used one and can provide feedback.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM

I'd like to add onto this question with a request for a hotel suggestion in Southampton. We are coming in a day early and I am having trouble finding a hotel that can accomodate myself and my 2 teenagers-ideally at a reasonable price. Most hotels seem to only take reservations for 2 people per room.
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:33 AM

we have used darren often...good rates..if interested let me know ..I will look for the contact...

aqtwitch@hotmail.com
Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Thanks,Amanda, I think we will just take the train....it seems easy enough.
Most private transport seems quite expensive from Southampton to London. Do you know what his rates are?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:10 PM

yes you are right but we always have 4 suitcases and two carry ons...for a 14 day cruise...so have no idea how to manage all that without a private car...his rates have varied depending on the distance..we have used him from airport to pier (dover) and then back again....
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM

We travel with one large rolling bag apiece and I usually have one small carry on, so very manageable.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:13 PM

thats the way to do it...and as soon as they start charging for that second bag, we will do the same...but for now , two rolling bags pp allow me to do some shopping...for what would a trip be if I couldnt buy anything...hope that day is still far away..or that the second bag charge is nominal..somehow I dont think so...
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Sorry Amanda, you better start travelling lighter. Did you see this headline today?

AMR's (AMR, news, msgs) American Airlines announced this morning that, as of next month, most passengers will have to pony up $15 for their first checked bag.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch...eForCheckedBags.aspx

I am sure it won't be long before all the others do the same.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM

$15 dollars for a second bag is not too bad...but wish they would charge by the weight of the passengers instead...it makes more sense...there are people who weigh twice my weight...so why should I pay for a second bag...but of course that is a whole other issue....

Closed Thread

Tags
hotels, london, southampton, southamton, transfer, uk