Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 04:44 PM

We are a group of 2 couples who will be traveling on our first cruise and our first trip to Italy in may '08. We are on Oceania. We plan to do our own excursions and would appreciate any help anyone can give us on planning our itinerary. (I am the only planner in the group, so it's up to me!) I have been doing a lot of studying via internett, but there is nothing like first hand experience.
We will see some museums and historical sites, but want to see the countryside in some areas, as well as spend 1 day on ship.
Venice--arriving a day early, staying at a B+B and will try to use the vaporetti to get around; Dubrovnik--will probably catch a cab to the city--anything we should see outside of the city in the 1/2 day we have there?
Kotor--havn't been able to find out much;
Corfu--
Taormina (Sicily)1 day
Sorrento/Capri 1 day
Amalfi/Positano--0800-1500
Florence (Livorno) 0800-2000
La Spezia (Cingue Terre)0800-1800
Portofino 0800-1800
Bonifecio (Corsica)0800-1800
Rome--will share a van to downtown Rome where we will stay 2 nights.
thanks for any suggestions
Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM

My only advice is don't plan too much. Often people get excited about seeing all the sites and cram too much in. Account for the time of transportation, lines at major attractions and a little down time to soak up the culture and enjoy being someplace and not always on the run. If you hit a few good spots and linger there you'll have a better time and a reason to go back again and pick up where you left off.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Thank you, that is exactly the pace we want. Just wondering where to stay in the city, and where to focus on the country.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 AM

That is a great itinerary and should leave you wanting to return to Italy to spend some real time in the country. You mention doing your own excursions, and you will have some tough choices. One major question will be whether you hire private guides/cars or simply go off on your own and use public transit, rental cars, and trains. You probably already have discovered that you can spend a lot of money on tours and guides, so start saving those pennys. If you post specific questions about options your are considering, we will be happy to help. Coincidentally we will be in Italy in early May (taking the Grand Princess transatlantic and than spending a couple of weeks driving in Italy) and we find its a great month because of the weather (not too hot and not too cold).

Hank
Old 02-23-2008, 12:38 PM

We want to do as much as possible on our own, using public transit, trains, and where recommended, rental cars. The one area we might consider a rental is Florence. Considering all of the other cities that we will be in, I'm trying to decide if we should skip Florence and see the country, or if we would regret the decision. Alos, not sure what to do in Kotor, Montenegro; Corfu, Greece; Sorrento/Capri or Bonifacio, France. Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Hello LEJ..... We just got back from Rome on January 27, 2008. We stayed at the Hotel Ciccerone, which was very nice. We had a large room, with our own bathroom/shower/bathtub. They serve a very nice buffet breakfast included with the price of the room. It isn't very far from The Vatican.
We got a pass on the Green Bus We took the Green/yellow bus and trust me it isn't worth it. 5 Red buses passed us while we were waiting for the Green bus. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR--MAKE SURE IF YOU CHOOSE TO GO ON A BUS TAKE THE RED 110. Since we were only there for 24 hours we got a 24 hour pass. (you just have to get on the bus, tell them you want a 1 day or 2 day etc. pass). The bus will take you around Rome and show you the area. We took it once all around, then decided which places we wanted to stop at. You can get on and off the bus anytime you want during the duration of the pass you purchase. We were also told if we take the train and stop at every stop and go upstairs there is a monument at every stop. We didn't have the time to do that since we only had 1 1/2 days in Rome.
You will absolutely LOVE ROME. I am looking forward to going back some day. You do need Euro's in Rome, or a charge card. Right now the USD is worth about 50 cents over there unfortunately.
Have a Great Time.
Sandy P
Costa Atlantica 2/2002-- 2/2005----Magica 2/2006
Concordia 1/2008
HAL MS Zuiderdam 9/03
MS Zaandam 1/04
Sun Princess 9/05
Royal Caribbean :
Majesty of the Seas 11/01
Sovereign of the Seas 12/02
MSC Orchestra 1/09
Ru** Princess 10/09

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 PM

A few years ago a major travel magazine ranked Florence as the #1 tourist city in the world. My wife prefers Paris, but Florence is a great city and very walkable (you can do it on your own with a guide book). You do not want to think about driving into Florence if you have no experience driving in Italy. Your best bet would be to get a taxi to take you from the pier to the Livorno train station where you can catch a train to Florence (it takes about 1:10). The train costs about $20 round trip (you might be able to get a lower cost ticket). If you would prefer the countryside, I can give you lots of help since we have spent many weeks driving through Italy (will be there again in May for a couple of weeks). But to see the countryside you will need a car (rental or a car/driver). By the way, gas in Italy costs over $7.00 a gallon. Last year I payed over $70 to fill a small VW. As to Corsica, although its part of France the Coricans are very independent-minded folks. The island is quite stunning, but its a very large island with some very rough terrain. You might want to just stay in the port and enjoy the atmosphere or take a tour if there is anything that really "jumps out." Corfu is a very tourist-friendly island and its actually a good place to rent a car and just drive all around the island. Corfu Town does have some nice shops and plenty of decent cafe/restaurants. This island is a real yachters haven in the summer since its the main island in the Ionian chain which is loved by European boaters.

Hank
Old 03-02-2008, 02:56 AM

As my wife is from amalfi coast area, and we know very well taht area , we are very pleased to give you some aadvices on it, but first we would like to know how mauch time you have to spend there.
Quote:
Originally posted by LEJ:
We are a group of 2 couples who will be traveling on our first cruise and our first trip to Italy in may '08. We are on Oceania. We plan to do our own excursions and would appreciate any help anyone can give us on planning our itinerary. (I am the only planner in the group, so it's up to me!) I have been doing a lot of studying via internett, but there is nothing like first hand experience.
We will see some museums and historical sites, but want to see the countryside in some areas, as well as spend 1 day on ship.
Venice--arriving a day early, staying at a B+B and will try to use the vaporetti to get around; Dubrovnik--will probably catch a cab to the city--anything we should see outside of the city in the 1/2 day we have there?
Kotor--havn't been able to find out much;
Corfu--
Taormina (Sicily)1 day
Sorrento/Capri 1 day
Amalfi/Positano--0800-1500
Florence (Livorno) 0800-2000
La Spezia (Cingue Terre)0800-1800
Portofino 0800-1800
Bonifecio (Corsica)0800-1800
Rome--will share a van to downtown Rome where we will stay 2 nights.
thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-02-2008, 06:15 AM

We will be there only one day from 8:00 in the morning, until 3:00 in the afternoon, which includes travel to and from the boat. We will also be at Sorrento/Capri for a full day.
Thank you for any suggestions of how to spend it wisely without feeling rushed.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:16 AM

Your time is quite short, however the nicest villages are Amalfi, Positano and Ravello
In Amalfi to visit : the Cathedral with its chiosk, paper museum, and its lovely small alleys. Ravello and its villas like Rufolo and Cimbrone and the historical centre, plus Positano a very famous fisher village, now Vip touristic resort. At the end if you will use public transportation www.sitabus.it or ferries and jets www.metrodelmare.com others companies have not yet published their time schedules . You have to choice between Ravello up in the hill 5km from Amalfi or Positano 10 km far, reachable by bus or ferries.
Another option surely more expensive hire a private tour driver for all the time, an affordable one is www.amalficar.it

Closed Thread

Tags
capri, carribean, cruise, excursions, italy, kotor, la, montenegro, port, review, reviews, royal, ship, spezia, villefranche