Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Princess is reluctant to tell me where their cruise terminal is located in Venice. Can anyone help me out? Would also like to know how to get from cruise terminals in Mediteranean ports to downtown or nearest Metro stop.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Princess is reluctant to tell me where their cruise terminal is located in Venice. Can anyone help me out? Would also like to know how to get from cruise terminals in Mediteranean ports to downtown or nearest Metro stop.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:27 PM

I too have been having difficulty researching this topic. You'll find a few very helpful observations about transport from the docks in a cruise review by David Shaw on the following website, under the heading "more Golden Princess Reviews"
http://www.cruisereviews.com/princess/golden.htm

If anyone has more precise information, especially about the location of the pier in Barcelona (not the main harbour?) I'd be glad to read it. thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:09 AM

Hi pG,

there is an excellent book about Mediterranean cruise ports, called Mediterranean by Cruise Ship. I 've found that book to be extremely helpful in planning a Mediterranean cruise, as it not only features maps and shore excursion recommendations, but also lots of background information.

Princess uses Bacino Stazione Marittima, which is the main passenger terminal in Venice, which is less than once mile from Santa Lucia train station. There is a water taxi service from between the station and the terminal, and taxis run between Piazzale Roma at about half the distance to the passenger terminal. However, please note that those taxis are extremely expensive (approx. 70-75 USD ).

Personally, if the cruise line provides some kind of transfer service from the station to the pier, I would definitely book it, as other way of transport in Venice are often either very expensive or inconvenient.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Old 05-09-2003, 02:25 PM

More helpful info on ports and self-guided excursions can be found on
http://www.cruisediva.com --click "ports of call"
Old 05-09-2003, 07:23 PM

Getting from the train station to a cruise ship is easy! Just walk out the front, down the steps and hail a water taxi. Everything is by water taxi. There are boats that make regular runs for a fraction of the price, but they may not go where your ship is docked. Chances are you will stand on the steps and see your ship, but not be able to get there without going by boat. Be ready to spend quite a few $$$ for that 10 min. ride. But then, if you were trying to save a few bucks, you would not be going to Venice, would you? For sightseeing, take the big taxi boats ( I can't recall what they are called) that have regular routes and you can see most of the city. Sit on the stern and pretend it is a private gondola
Old 05-10-2003, 06:53 PM

I believe the cruise ships have a shuttle that take you to St Marks. I read this on www.portcompass.com. I was browsing their tours for Rome and Florence and am pretty sure they mentioned that about Venice. Go there and look under Venice.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:14 PM

Hi there. I have also had difficulty with this question. I have managed to get the fact that the ship anchors at either berth #18 or 107 from Princess (via my booking agent). I did read another posting at cruise-addicts.com which said that the vaporetto service #52 from Piazzale Roma would get you to walking distance of the ship. But it did not say which berth this was (!) Princess only seem interested if you are flying into Marco Polo and getting you to transfer from there and no doubt paying for the pleasure. We are coming in from Treviso by bus stopping at the Piazzale Roma so we want to try to avoid blowing a packet on an overpriced form of transport. Hope you have better luck finding an answer to this.
Carole

Closed Thread

Tags
bacino, cruise, distance, docks, martima, pier, port, ship, ships, station, stazione, terminal, train, transportation, venice