Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM

My husband and I are visiting Europe for the first time via a 13 day cruise aboard NCL Jade this May. In an effort to get the most bang for our limited time, I'm hoping to get some suggestions about a few aspects of our trip. For starters, our flight arrives in Barcelona at 9:15am. The ship is scheduled to leave at 4pm. Though limited in time, we feel this allows us enough time to at least something in Barcelona. Any suggestions on what to see in the small time allotted, as well as doing so without our luggage? Another question is essentially the same situation in reverse. Our ship ends in London(Southampton), arriving at 5am. Our flight leaves out of Heathrow airport at 2:30pm. Again, suggestions on what to see in the time allotted as well as how to go about it with our luggage????(Is it possible to see Stonehenge?)
One final question is about our time in Florence. We will be there on Monday, which research has shown is the day the city is essentially closed. It is also our wedding anniversary that day, so we really want the day to be extra special. Any suggestions on must sees for a romantic day in Pisa/ Florence on a Monday?
We really appreciate any advice anyone can throw our way!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Barcelona - if nothing else go see the new cathedral/temple they are building - the Sagrada Familia. Do not know what you would do with your luggage but what time can you actually board your cruise ship. We have just been on a Thomson cruise and visited Barcelona, you could get a taxi from the ship to the Familia and the metro back to La rambla. The port authority were running buses from the ship to the bottom of La Rambla.
We also sailed into Livorno and caught the train to Pisa, spent a relaxing 4 hours from the ship to Pisa, wandered round Pisa and caught the train back. Cost us 7 euros each!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM

Is there anyone else aboard NCL Jade May 17-30 (Barcelona- London) that may want to share in tranposrtation and/or shore excursions?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:00 PM

I am not sure you will have time for it, but you could do a quick bus tour of London before departing. Many companies will do 4 hour tour.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marvq469:
Is there anyone else aboard NCL Jade May 17-30 (Barcelona- London) that may want to share in tranposrtation and/or shore excursions?
Hi Marvq469, we are on the Jade May 17-30 also and will be arriving around the same time you are 9:10. I actually was wanting to see some of Baracelona also. Maybe we can hook up and share a transfer at least.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 PM

send me an e-mail and maybe we can set something up marvq469@hotmail.com
Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Sorry to say you really won't have time to see Stonehenge - but to be honest, although it's a wonderful place there isn't an awful lot to see and these days you can't even get close to the stones or walk amongst them. Also the site isn't particularly close to Southampton, and Southampton's a long way from Heathrow - about an hour and a half by bus at least. You'll need to be at Heathrow by midday at the latest I should think for a transatlantic flight so that won't leave you much time at all. Our British roads can be very busy, especially between 7am and 9am (rush hour), so I think you would be cutting it very fine to try to do Stonehenge. I also am quite sure you won't have time for a bus tour of London before your flight. Sorry to be a killjoy, but there is so much to see in Southern England maybe you should come back again soon and see it all at your leisure!
We are taking our first cruise on the Med this summer with Princess & we are looking forward to it so much. We are going to hire a car to drive to Pisa and Lucca, which is a beautiful walled city, and I am going to book tickets online so we can climb the Leaning Tower. I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
marvq469
I have a particular fondness for Firenze. My wife and I met there 40 years ago (we are both American.)

Walk the city from Duomo, towards Ponte Vecchio, and then to the Boboli Gardens and up to Piazzale Michelangelo. Take in the beauty and warmth of the city. Take a bus to Fiesole above Florence. Beautiful views. Nice place for a leisurely lunch. You don't need museums to enjoy Firenze.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 AM

I've spent a great deal of time in Barcelona and I would suggest for the limited hours that you have there, you should take a bus tour. There are three routes and for information click on this website.http://www.tmb.net/en_US/turistes/bu...tilitzarlo.jsp Check out the places you would most like to see and choose the route accordingly. They are fantastic value and you can hop on and hop off. The Sagrada Família is a wonderful place to see but I would advise not going inside as it is under construction and not really a lot to see. Take an hour or so walking through La Rambla and the Royal courts just off here. However please keep bags and valuables safe as pick-pocketing is a big problem in Barcelona.

Closed Thread

Tags
barcelona, civitavecchia, cruise, crusie, familia, florence, florencepisa, london, pisa, sagrada, tickets