Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I was just wondering what your favorite ship to cruise Europe was. For example, the Caribbean I like Carnival, but for my Alaska cruise I want to use Princess. I am not sure about Europe currently I am going by the price! Any suggestions?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I was just wondering what your favorite ship to cruise Europe was. For example, the Caribbean I like Carnival, but for my Alaska cruise I want to use Princess. I am not sure about Europe currently I am going by the price! Any suggestions?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:01 AM

I'm of the mind that there is not one cruise line that is great in any one particular destination, but that your choice should be based on which cruise line is right for you. Then you can use that cruise line to multiple destinations. Princess goes to Europe, so that may be a good place to start if you like cruising Princess. You may also want to see if Royal Caribbean or Celebrity are a good match for you.

Sandy
Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM

I've done Crystal, Seabourn and Windstar in the Med and personally, my vote is for Windstar or Seabourn - they can get into places the big boys can't and that means less "turistas" on the beach. Both ships are smaller and very relaxed.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Cruising Europe is totally different than cruising in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. With Europe, most of the cruises are pretty port intensive and the main purpose for most cruisers is the itinerary and price. My advice would be to consider the amount of time you can cruise (the longer the better) and the region (Baltic, Med, Greek Islands, etc) and than look at what is available and the itinerary. Pay particular attention to the number of hours in port, and be cognizant that Sundays and Mondays can often find many major attractions closed. As an example, there are some ships that are in Civitavecchia on a Sunday (port city for Rome) but the Vatican is closed to tours on most Sundays or in Florence, most of the popular museums are closed on Mondays. That is why you need to spend some time doing your "homework" before you book.

Hank
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Those were some great points, Hank. Thanks a lot. I will be doing a lot of studying to help me prepare.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vacationbound:

I am going to a wedding in Dover in August and am interested in taking a cruise from there ot Ireland. How would I do that? And could I get off a ship in Ireland and then get transport back to London to fly to the USA?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 AM

When cruising Europe -- my selection is based on: PORT OF CALLS and then CITY I FLY INTO/DEPART. If I can get a cruise that uses the same port (depart/return) the airfare cost is usually a lot less than buying one way tickets. Then I compare prices and if they are similiar I always pick Princess.

In 2005 I wanted to port in Istanbul and see the Greek Islands. Went on the Celebrity Galaxy because they departed/returned to Civitavicchia and I could get a Non-Stop to Rome. (Don't like assigned dinner time -- but the ship went were I wanted and we had a good time.) When asked, "This is our favorite cruise we have taken -- due to the ports we stopped in."

In 2006 used Viking for the Amsterdam to Budapest River Cruise. Small ship and not family oriented -- besides drinking at the bar nothing to do after dinner.) Loved the cruise (dream vacation) and I am thrilled we went. For the family or active person -- you need to get old before you can really appreciate the slow pace of the cruise.

In 2008 departing from Copenhagen for a Scandinavia/Russia Cruise and I choose Princess because it was going to the Ports I wanted to see (St. Petersburg)and the price was competitive with other cruise lines. We prefer to cruise on Princess -- like having freestyle dining versus 1st or 2nd seating. (Extra plus I was able to get a non-stop flight to/from Copenhagen.) When choosing a cruise line -- you have to look at all aspects including cost of airfare and time it takes to get to and from destination.

Defunct cruise line -- Portugal - Spain. It went where I wanted to go and we had a really good time.

Nile River Cruise --

PORT OF CALLS YOU WANT TO SEE -- TO ME IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHICH CRUISE LINE. I have cruised Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carninval, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian (Alaska - port Seattle and easier for my parents celebrating 60th Anniversary), Viking, defunct cruise line and a Nile River Cruise. Each time the cruise line was selected on the ports I wanted to see.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vacationbound:

Why fix what's not broken. You like Carnival and they have great pricing and itin on Freedom doing the Med. Also Princess has Grand, Emerald, Sea, royal and even Pacific Princess doing itins in the same region. Look over pricing and itins for these and I'll bet you'd find a winner.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Also Carnival Splendor and Crown Princess are doing Northern Europe.

Closed Thread

Tags
cost, cruise, europe