Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi,
I am new to the message board and just had some general questions for anyone to help me out with. Me and my fiance are getting Married next July and want to go on a Greek Cruise sometime after that in July. I was wondering what Cruise Lines and what destinations you would recommend. We live in Milwaukee Wisconsin, so we would have to fly out of Chicago probably, so also kind of wondering if you would know of any prices or good spots to find cheaper prices, preferably some sort of package deal. The cruises I have liked have been the 12 day cruises that start in Rome. I really want to see Santorini other than that nothing real specific. Thanks for any help that anyone can give.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Santorini, Mykonos and Rhoses are "don't miss" ports. I would strongly suggest that you contact a local cruise professional that is familiar with the Eastern Mediterranean cruises to help you book it.

You choices would be to do Turkey and Greece (my favorite), or Italy, Greece and the Rivieras. Istanbul and Kusadasi are to die for as ports and when tied into the Greek islands makes for a very memorable cruise. On the other hand Celebrity Cruisees offers a 12-day itinerary on the Millennium that starts in Venice, Italy and ends in Barcelona, Spain and hits all of the major spots (including Santorini)

If this is your first Med cruise, I might opt for the Millennium. I am doing it again next month after just doing it last year.

Here is a link to the review of the ship and itinerary.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Millennium43.htm

Also, you can check out the various ports that you are considering at http://www.EuropePortReviews.com.
What a great honeymoon!

Tom
Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM

Thanks Tom,
That really will help out a lot. So, for the best scenary with some nice beaches, what would you recommend doing? I'm sure my fiance would love a day or two to just find a nice little private beach somewhere and just relax. Thanks again for the help.....
Jerod
Old 07-29-2005, 08:13 PM

All three Greek ports have fabulous beaches, as do most of the ports on the rivieras. If it were me, and I wanted to mix some outstanding shopping, sightseeing, beach time and overall memories. I would do an eastern Med cruise that included Istanbul. Kusadasi and the Greek Isles. Forget about the terriorist thing and go when Ephesus will be vacant. It is a memory that will last a lifetime.

Tom
Old 07-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Tom,

I think I'm in the wrong line of work. I am not just green but GLOWING NEON with envy. I think I may just have to let the rest of you explore SE Asia, or wherever you wind up going. The above mentioned is definitely for me. (don't suppose you have any room in that well-packed suitcase??)

Rose
July '06 Tahitian Princess Honolulu to Papeete
Old 07-30-2005, 04:34 AM

Rose,
Stick with us and you will have the opportunity to see all of that and more. Since I haven't been to Ephesus and Rhoses and I absolutely loved Istanbul, Santorini and Mykonos - we'll just have to make sure that becomes another cruise on the endless world odyssey
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-30-2005, 06:23 AM

Hey, it is tough work, but you know.....

Tom
Old 07-30-2005, 06:35 AM

I have to play against type here and tell you that if you really want to spend a few days on the beach and get a feel for the Greek islands, a cruise is NOT the way to go. If you can mix a cruise with a longer stay in Mykonos or Santorini, that is what you should do. Maybe you could fly into Athens, stay a night or two, fly to Mykonos for a week and then back to Athens, taxi to Piraeus and then take your cruise. I am afraid that if you are only cruising you will be too insulated from the real Greek islands experience. Just MHO.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:41 AM

I would agree with Carla. I could easily spend a week at every port in Turkey and Greece. It would be hard to decide on which port to focus on.

Carla, what is your favorite beach on Santorini? Mykonos?

Tom
Old 07-30-2005, 06:54 AM

Super Paradise Beach, Mykonos.

Were you thinking my answer would be something else?

Closed Thread

Tags
beach, cruise, cruises, greece, greek, greekcruises, lines, nude, port, ratings, reviews, senior, turkey