Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM

Hi!

Does anyone know how to pre book the train tickets from Civitavecchia to Rome via the "Trenitalia.com" site? I've tried and it will not let me do it.

Also, how can one pre book tickets to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel over the Internet prior to my being there in June?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-19-2007, 11:50 AM

There is no advantage to buying the tickets ahead of time. It is a cummite train that runs about every 1 1/2 hours and costs 4.8 Euro each way. Just buy the tickets at the station when you arrive-save yourself a lot of grief.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Hi Gogetter. We have booked train tickets over the internet on the Trenitalia website. Tickets don't become available for reservation until 30 days prior to your departure date. We checked this out with a travel agent who also confirmed this is how Trenitalia works.
You can prebook Vatican Museum tours by going to www.vatican.va and searching under museum, guided tours. The instructions are all there. You need to fax the Vatican a minimum of 1 week, preferably 1 month, before arriving and give them your preferred dates and times. They will fax you back a tour confirmation which you have 7 days to pay for. Then take the confirmation fax to a separate line up at the Vatican Museum 15 minutes before your tour time and you're in!
Have fun on your cruise!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Thank you both, Ronnie1a and joyceh for your help in getting answers to my questions. I will head your advice.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 AM

From what I've seen on the TrenItalia site you can only pre-book the Eurostar trains from outside Italy. The trains between Civitavecchia and Rome are either locals or IC (direct St.Peters and Termini)
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 AM

gogetter,

You posted earlier that you were looking for someone to share a tour. Are you still wanting someone? My husband & I are interested.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:19 AM

I will just echo some of the other comments. There is no reason (or way) to pre-book the local trains from Civ to Rome. You have nothing to fear and can easily purchase the tickets at the Civ train station either at the window or by using the self-service ticket machines. Do not forget that you must always validate your ticket in the validation machine prior to boarding any train. Those validation machines are conveniently located either near the platform entrance or on the actual platform. As to the Vatican Musuems, keep in mind that you can only pre-book the tours conducted by the Vatican (they are limited in numbers). Otherwise, you would have to wait in line at the entrance for the normal entrance tickets which do not include a tour, but are also cheaper and give you freedom to stay as long as you please. The lines really can vary from a few minute wait to more than an hour depending on time of year, day, and time of day.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, book, brig, civitavecchia, cost, fax, museum, port, roma, rome, ticket, tickets, train, trenitalia, vatican, vatikan