Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:51 PM

We're considering an NCL overnight trip from Casablanca to Marrakech. It's $400 per person so before we blow the budget, is there any advice available from the experts out there?

NCL doesn't do day trips, because of the distance I guess.

Has anyone done such a tour? Will we regret not missing Marrakech if we opt for a much cheaper tour in Casablanca?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 AM

I just found this, in this section, I also made a short reply in the "Port of Call" section. I'll continue here. I have not done this tour, but after spending 3 weeks last summer in Morocco, and since no one has replied, I thought I'd give you my thoughts. Well, if your ok with blowing your budget on the overnighter I would recommend that trip. Even though Marra was the most commercialized, and touristy area we went to, it is the most popular. It seems that most times when they show Morocco, it is Marra, with its world famous Jamaa el Fna square. So, if you want to be watching tv, and a scene from Jamaa el Fna comes on, you can say "I've been there". We ate at the food stalls in the square, and didn't get sick. In fact, we never got sick, and ate off the street stands alot. We did not go to the Saadian Tombs, although I am sure they are visually stunning. We saw other tombs, that were incredible. The medina (old arab part of town) is where the shopkeepers have stalls. I would assume they will supply a guide, because you will get lost in it. We always got lost for at least an hour, we never had a guide, part of the fun was getting lost. Anyways, the people of Marra were dressed alot more modern, mini-skirts, high heels, sleeveless shirts, etc... there are LOTS of high end Mercedes driving around. One local said "those are the Saudis, they come here to play". Marra had the highest concentration of tourist, of any town we stayed in, and we stayed in 5 towns. If you want to not blow your budget so much, I would recommend the Casablanca and Rabat tour, for 1 day. We stayed in Rabat for 2 nights. The excursion goes to Chellah, an old Phoenician ruin (they think it is Phoenician). It is pretty ruinous, but still awesome, I thought. The Mohamed V Mausoleum is very beautiful. It is well worth the time to see it. Outside the mausoleum is where I got the henna work done to my hands. They told me it was $30, turned out to be $30 per hand. Lesson learned. The Hassan tower, is right next to the mausoleum, that is something you just looked at, I don't think you could go in it. The Kasbah of Oudaya, is also great. It is basically of maze of blue and white houses, with alleyways. I would also assume that they would provide a guide for that too. The Kasbah is right on the coast, overlooking a beach area, a dirty, dingy river, a graveyard and another town. Rabat is actually the capital of Morocco. As far as Casablanca, we only stayed there 1 night, after flying in from London. We only walked around a few blocks, and grabbed a bite to eat. I wanted to see the big mosque there, but failed to realize it was closed to non-muslins on Friday, and that was the day we had planned to go there. So, sorry this is sooooooo long. I am just trying to be informative. Any other questions, just ask. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
blue, casablanca, cruise, experts, information, kasbah, marrakech, marrakesh, morocco, mybb, port, powered, reviews, tourist, tours, white