Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 PM

6 of us (60's-70's) will be arriving Piraeus on Mon. 23 November 09, on Celebrity Soltice. We'd like suggestions on how to get from the port to Athens to see the Acropolis. I've read that there is a bus to the metro station. Please help with cost of bus/metro, which stop to get off? Tickets?

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Sammee- You should read through this thread about this same subject. Hank tells you which bus route to take to the metro station. Once there be sure you buy the "all day" ticket so you can ride the subway as many times as you want for one price. I believe you can also get a ticket that includes buses (which you may be able to purchase before you get on the bus to the train station and then have that included AND be able to ride the bus in Athens is desired) Post back here if you still have questions. Its easy to do and we can walk you through it (so you look like a traveling pro in front of your friends )
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Okay, I've read all the information regarding the Acropolis here, but check to see if I need a walk through.
Hank says to catch the #843 bus across the cruise terminal, but of course, it'll depend how far Celebrity Soltice docks that will determine how far we walk. Bus/metro ticket is the same, must validate. Get a an all day ticket which gives me privileges to ride the metro all day, though I only want to get from Piraeus to the Acropolis and back. Don't know how else or where else to use it without getting lost. At the train station, I get a map and check the metro schedule to make sure I get on the metro before 3:30 to be on the ship by 6pm. I inquire which train takes us to the Athens. Next, where do I get off?

How soon should I get to Plaka to see the changing of the guards, and how do I get there from the Acropolis?

I think I've covered everything now. How am I doing?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Pretty good so far!

Let me clarify come things though-

Distance from ship to bus- Yes, it depends on where the Celebrity docks, but the port entrance is a walk from all the docks. You'll go to one main port entrance (it will be where all the taxis are waiting) Look for the bus station outside of that.

Which Metro train do you take- There is only one. The "green" line stops at the port so when you get to the train (more like a subway) you can only go into Athens.

Which stop? To get closest to the Arcopolis you want to get out at the "AKropolis" station But to get to that one you will need to change from the green line to the blue line and then the red line. See this map. So you take the green line to the Monastriraki station get out, follow the signs to the blue line get on and go to the Syntagma station, get out and go to the red line to the Akropolis station. Leave the subway and you will be across the street from the main entrance. (You could just get off at Thissio but you will be on the back side of the Acropolis site and have to walk a long way to get there. Its easier to do the transfers)

What else would you like to see? Well when you are done with the Acropolis , get back on the subway and go to Syntagma and get out.. you will be where the changing of the guards is. If you walk back about 1/2 towards the Acropolis you will be in the Plaka area (have a nice lunch)

Schedule- I'm not sure you have to worry so much about a train schedule. The subways run fairly regularly. Just time your trip in (from the time you get off the ship) to determine how much time to leave to get back. I would add 45 mins to that time as "buffer" IN case you end up having to walk back to the ship from the train station or something .... Print out the train map and then google on Athens maps, some will transpose the metro lines on the city map and you can plan out where you want to go.

One last comment. Be aware of your surroundings on the green line. It is known for pickpockets and baggage thieves. They will wait until the doors almost close, grab your bag and jump off the train....etc...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Sorry not to have commmented sooner, but we have been away doing some traveling. I do not recall mentioning an "all day" pass for Athens (this is a popular option for the port of Civitavecchia and Rome) and if I did, it was an error on my part. In Pireaus you just buy a single ticket for each way and that ticket is good for both the bus (from port to train station) plus the metro as long as you use it within 1 1/2 hours (somebody might want to double check me on the time limit since anything can change).

Hank
Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Hank-

I don't know about the bus, but when we went we were able to buy an all day subway pass. I assumed you meant you could buy one that combined a bus and train all day thing like in Rome.

Either way, the train tix are not that costly.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:47 PM

ARGH! Sorry Jim,, we were a bit jet lagged (got off a 10 hour flight from Hawaii and thought the all-day thing was attributed to me. By the way, you are really right when it comes to pick-pockets on that train line. We have never understood why the Greek police do not put a stop the pick-pocket rings that work that train line. Along with the crooked taxi drivers these are simple things that really hurt the image of Greek tourism.

Hank
Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks, Hank and Jim, Appreciate your comments. And we will be aware of pickpockets.

Sammee

Closed Thread

Tags
acropolis, acropolus, athens, civitavecchia, cruise, day, map, metro, pass, pick, piraeustrain, pireaus, pockets, port, subway, time, train