Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 PM

@ptur:

Regarding the transfer from Civitavecchia to Rome or v. v. you can get by train to ROMA TERMINI and change to CIVITAVECCHIA. More information at Italian State Railways. The large airport is LEONARDO DA VINCI and you must insert Fiumicino Aeroporto (Exact spelling required!). If you have to get to CIAMPINO airport you have a cheap bus transfer from/to ROMA TERMINI.

A cab from LEONARDO DA VINCI/FIUMICINO airport costs about 150,00 EUR. You can get cheaper transfers if you google "Airport Transfer Rome Civitavecchia". There are some options.

Sorry - but I did not unterstand the Manchester part:

If you need to travel within Europe very cheap, especially from/to UK you should visit:

Ryanair
EasyJet
Opodo
British Airways (very cheap one-way flights out of UK!!!)

If you need accomodations I would recommend:

HRS Hotel Reservation System
Hotel.de

If you need more information for cheap travelling within Europe feel free to send me an PM.

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 AM

Thank you HeinBloed for your advice.
Peter
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 AM

Ptur, I gather that you are from NZ, and I must tell you that NZ is one of the most wonderful places in the world. When spending a few days in your country we discovered that the Kiwis are among the warmest, funniest. most hospitable folks on earth. The previous post does an excellent job with your options. Unfortunately, there is no easy and inexpensive way to get from FCO to the port. The train is certainly the least expensive, but a real pain in the behind. Because the train route takes you are out of the proper route (you have to go back to Rome before you can head out to Civitavecchia) it takes over 2 hours for the relatively short trip. However, if you can handle your luggage and the walking involved with getting on and off trains, this is the only option that has a reasonable cost. But, even with the trains you must get from the train station in Civatavecchia to the ship, and taxis are not always in plentiful supply for the short trip. Without a taxi you would have to walk several blocks (perhaps 2 kilometers) from the station to the port entrance where you could take the free port shuttle bus. This all seems rather trying for folks in their 70s (I am younger and still don't like this option) so you might want to take a deep breath and look on-line for a reasonable transfer company (I am not sure anyone is reasonable). Our personal solution to the Civitavecchia problem is that we always spend time in Italy before or after a cruise and we use rental cars to get to or from the port, but this only is a good option when you are keeping the car for several days or weeks.

Hank
Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 AM

I read so many things on so many treads that I am confused. What is the best way to do Rome : Take the train to San Pietro, walk towards termini and take the train to Civit. from Termini, or take the train to Termini and walk towards San Pietro and take the train back from there. And why ? thank you all you experienced travellers !!!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM

The confusion you express results from the fact that Rome is a very large sprawling city with many many places to see. Although I am not a big fan of tours, I often recommend that a first-time visitor to Rome "bite the bullet" and take the full day tour (offered by the ship) or book a similar private tour. The reason is that tours can often bypass the long lines to get into the Vatican museums (this includes the Sistine Chapel and is closed on Sundays). The basic itinerary for most first time visitors includes the Vatican Museum and St Peters, a walk through the area that has the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, a visit to some of the ruins including the Colluseum, Palantine Hill etc. You can do this on your own, but it requires some homework. As to the train, you are referring to the train that runs from Civitavecchia (port) to the Rome Termini station. From that main train station you can utilize your feet, taxis, and the subway to get to all the places on your itinerary. Expect to find a long line to get into the Vatican Museums (worth the wait). St Peters is normally pretty easy to see (you do not need to take the tour to get into St Peters) although special events can sometimes ruin any plan. Personally, I would take the subway from the termini station over to the Vatican, and than work my way back towards the other sites based on your priorities. If you have good weather you might want to leave time for lunch at a well-placed outdoor cafe. One of our favorite places is the Piazza Navonna which has some wonderful fountains, a few cafe/restaurants, and great people watching. It is hard to do it all in one day, so if you are going to do Rome on your own you will need to prioritize. Also keep in mind that the train to and from the port takes about an hour (each way) and you need to allow some extra time for the return journey in case the train happens to be running late.

Hank
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Thank you Hank for your answer.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Thank you from me too Hank. You are a wealth of information. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Thank you again, and happy sailing.
Eileen
Old 09-16-2006, 06:21 AM

first this is a great site can i ask if the train from civitavecchia can be picked up near the ship or do i have to get to a station in the city
Old 09-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Obelisk, When you get off the ship in the large port of Civitavecchia, there will a shuttle bus, provided free of charge by the port authority, that will take passengers from the pier to the port entrance. They do this because its a long walk and they don;t want folks walking around the busy port complex. The shuttle bus will drop you off at the main port gate. You simply exit and go to your right along the street always keeping the water on your right. In about 4 blocks you will come to the small train station (it will be on your left on this same street). Here is a link that provided a wonderful description with pictures of the route. http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm
Old 09-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Ron and I took the train all the way to the Rome Airport, our hotel was only a few miles away.

Lesson learned: If we are in the same situation again. Find a hotel in the city versus close to the airport. The day flying out you could take the express train to the Airport. If we had a really early flight take a taxi from Rome to the hotel close to the airport if we would have to wait hours for the Free Shuttle.

When we tried to get a taxi no one would take us from the Rome Airport to our hotel a few miles away. They wanted the Rome City pick-ups. We were shocked to find out the Taxi driver had the right to refuse us and all but one did. The one who said "Yes" was 40 Euros for a three mile drive.

We were told we could of called a local taxi company to pick us up. Our hotel had a shuttle and I called for a pick up. Since it was off season we had to wait several hours before the shuttle was scheduled for the airport pick-up. But neither of us speak Italian and didn't want to try to get a local taxi when a free shuttle would be arriving at 3:30 p.m.

Ron isn't too adventuresome so I was really proud that we went all the way from the Port to the Rome Airport with no problems due to the trains. We took the "Cruise Transportation" from the Rome Airport to the Port -- we were lucky to have dinner mates who had come to the port via the train and convinced Ron it was really easy. It is.

Closed Thread

Tags
chivitavichia, civitachecchi, civitavecchia, cost, long, naples, princess, private, roma, rome, schedule, taking, termini, train, transfer