Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM

Hi,
I will be arriving on the Norwegian Jewel on Aug 1rst into Naples.
I want to spend the day in Capri on my own.
I see on the timetables that there are different companies that go. I called SNAV for the way there and NL.G. for the way back (b/c SNAV returns too early). They barely speak English and won't take a reservation in advance. Do I have to worry about the Hydrafoils getting sold out in advance. If the ship sails at 6 pm, will I be able to take a 4:30pom hydrafoil on the return.
Also, is the harbor called: "Molo Beverello"?
And finally, do I have to prebook the blue grotto caves in advance?

Thanks

Suri
Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 AM

Hi Surif, welcome to Cruise Chat. It may not answer your questions totally but scroll down on the topic headings and there is a "capri" topic. Nancy and Hank have a lot of experience with Capri and I am sure that they can give you the answers that you are searching for.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 AM

I am trying to think of a clear way to explain, so let me try it this way. Trying to make a reservation on the hydrofoils (most are actually jet boats) would be like trying to reserve a ticket on a city bus. It just is not done. You simply walk over to the ferry pier complex (right next to the cruise line pier), check the daily schedules posted clearly over the ticket windows of the various companies and buy a ticket for the next boat. My only caveat is for the return journey. I suggest that when you arrive on Capri (you will be at the port of Marina Grande) you stop at the ticket office at the end of the pier and check the various return schedules. At that time, buy your return ticket so that you do not have to waste time standing in line in the afternoon. As to the Grotto, as you walk off the pier in Marina Grande you will see a pier on your left with all kinds of signs for the Blue Grotto. You simply buy a ticket for the next boat (these are motor boats that hold 20 - 30 people) and the boat will take you around the island to the Blue Grotto. At this point you will be transferred into a small row boat, pay another fee for the entrance, and than be rowed into the Grotto. Its an outrageous tourist trap, but its something most of us do one time (nobody ever goes back a 2nd time).

Hank
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 AM

Hank and drlivingston- Thank you. This was very helpful. The tourist trap issue is something to think about- I hate being taken advantage of- but as you said...I'll probbaly never do this again, so what the hec
Thanks again

Closed Thread

Tags
capri, harbour, hydrafoil, hydrafoils, hydrofoil, naples, prebook