Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM

we are going to be next August in Athens in celebrity's Solstice. I've been looking the Tom Ogg's report for Athens and it seems the part where he explains how to go from Piraeus to the foot of the Acropolis in the Plaka district is missing. Can anyone give me some suggestion in how can we go from Piraeus to the Acropolis. Is there a free shuttle from the ship to the train station in Pireaus.
Thanks in advance
Luis
Old 02-28-2009, 03:48 PM

From the train station its easy to do. But to get to the train station from the port is a very long walk. See the google satellite map by going to googel maps and searching for "athens map ???????? @37.948089,23.642557" I tried to paste the URL but it was too long. The cruise ships dock at the south end of the port and the train/metro station is the Square M symbol top right end of the port. We walked it but it was a long hike. I suggest a taxi to the train station or a bus to the train station. There are 2 stops on the metro line that will be close to an entrance and one that will make you walk all the way around it. At the train station you want to take the green line and then transfer to the blue line at the Monastiraki station (You can get off the green station at Thissio and be close to an entrance but it is on the far side away from the Acropplois itself.) You then want to get off the blue line at the Syntagma station and get on the red line to go one more stop to the Acropoli station.. this will put you at the main entrance with minimal walking. IF you don't want to do so much transferring, just stay on the green line to the Metaxourgio station where you can transfer directly to the red line to the Acropoli station. See a metro map here.
Of course you will want to by an "all day" metro pass since you will want to get back to the port and use the metro to get around.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 02-28-2009, 05:05 PM

thanks Jim your information it has been very helpful. I'm asking myself if it would be a good idea to get off the metro in the Monastiriki station walk around the Plaka area and enter the Acropolis from there, view the parthenon and other marvelous sites and leave the Acropolis using the entrance near the Acropolis station and from there walk to syntagma square to see the adrian's arch, the temple of Zeus and the Parliament. Or maybe do the same thing in the opposite way. What do you think?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Administrator

This thread reminds me of an incident in 1981 aboard the Athens metro. I was in the U.S. Navy at the time and several of us had boarded the train to head to the Acropolis. We had to stand and use the hand straps. It was a non-eventful trip and we were quietly talking amongst ourselves when suddenly I felt a hit in my rear end. I turned around to see an old Greek man standing there apparently cursing me. He had kicked me in the behind! A younger man was with him and had a look of horror on his face. He was desperately talking to the old man and as best as I could tell he was sure both of them were about to get their clocks cleaned. We stood there and couldn't believe what had happened. My shipmates and I stood there and watched these two for a few minutes, and they got up and moved to another car.

All I can think of is there was an election coming up and the communists were out in force (KKE party) and they didn't like Americans.

But I will say I liked Athens very much, and the Acropolis is something that both amazing and humbling to see.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:31 PM

luisven-

We "accidently" did what you suggest.. Got off at the Monastiriki station... You end up on the wrong side of the acropolis and basically have to walk all the way around it to get to an entrance (which is the one by the Acropoli station. I would not do this. We did end up going to see the site you are talking about. If you go to the Acropolis first (do this because if you don't beat the tours form the ship it gets very crowded) then you can go back to the Metro and get off at the Syntagma station and that will put you right at the Parliament building and its an easy walk to the temple of Zeus and from there to the Plaka area. We did all of this and had lunch in the Plaka area and got back to the ship with plenty of time.

Dave... I'll bet that wasn't the first nor the last time you were on the receiving end of a kick to the backside
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks jim.For sure we are going to follow your suggestion.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM

We were adventurous and loved it. We left the ship early and walked to the train. It is a wonderful walk and was so much fun. The challange was getting from the train to the Acropolis, we could see it, but had to ask a few people how to get to it. We would not have done it different. We also walked around the town after and discouverd the covered market on a Saturday afternoon. Wow, this was something to see. On our train ride back we helped people who were going to board their ship to depart on their cruise, that was fun too.
Carnival Holiday - Dec 2007
Princess Grand - Oct 2008

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
acropele, acropolis, athens, cruise, docking, enter, long, map, maps, metro, piraeus, pireaus, pireus, port, ship, train