Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 AM

I can make the drive from Rome to the port in about 1:15...but tour buses seem to take a bit longer. On Sundays, they might be able to save 5 - 10 min. The issue of these darn buses comes down to the ridiculous cost. Most of the cruise lines charge about $70 per person. For a family of 8 this would be $560 just for transportation. The train costs about $20 round trip (not sure of the current exact cost) which also includes use of the subway in Rome (you need to request that type of ticket). The train is also faster. The port buses (ship to port entrance) are very nice and free because they are provided by the port authority. As to you being worried or "nervous" about going on your own, that is exactly why the cruise lines can charge very high prices for tours, and folks line-up to pay those big bucks. When we travel on cruises, we are often approached by fellow passengers looking for information and "encouragement" to go on their own in ports. My reaction is that if they are going to be "nervous" simply pay the big bucks and take the tours. Or course I do not usually disclose that I am a stockholder in the two major cruise lines and love to see others feed the profits Yes, the "tours" are a nice profit center as are the Art Auctions, Bingo, slot machines, and of course the new fad of the decade called bottled water.

Hank
Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM

hello there
we are taking costa cruise from civitaveccia on 6th Aug. We are flying with ryan air from liverpool. Anyone need to share a limo?
thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 PM

My husband and I are taking our first cruise on Oceania in May 2008. I am looking into doing sightseeing on our own rather than using an excursion service (pricy!) or ship excursions (pricier!). For Civitaveccia port, someone mentioned all the cruise lines have free shuttles to get you to the port entrance. Are those shuttles even for those of us who did not purchase an excursion? I just don't want to be stuck walking down a very long pier...
Thanks! This is a GREAT website!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM

You are in luck. The free shuttle bus in the port has nothing to do with the cruise lines, but is sponsored by the local port authority. Several years ago they would allow us to walk from the piers to the port entrance (a good half mile) but now, because of security and safety in the port they provide the port shuttles. Its not about walking down a long pier...the port is huge. You are talking about walking down piers, across roads, dodging port traffic, crossing train tracks, etc. That shuttle bus is sure a nice addition and one can only hope they continue the practice.

Hank
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM

Hi, I'm an English Speaking Driver of Limousine and I can offer to you the transfer from Ciampino APT to Civitavecchia Port for 150 Euro for a couple.

Thanks and at your disposal, best Regards.
Sebastiani Roberto Link deleted

Quote:
Originally posted by jambosmum:
hello there
we are taking costa cruise from civitaveccia on 6th Aug. We are flying with ryan air from liverpool. Anyone need to share a limo?
thanks
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Hi, what about taking the bus to the port entrance and walking around Civitavecchia? We have done Rome a couple of times and wondered if Civitaveccha had anything to offer for an easy day.

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, civitaacchia, civitavecchia, civitaveccia, cost, euro, hotel, panteon, port, shuttle, station, taxi, termini, train, whats