Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 PM

Leaving June 1 for Rome and then Carnival Freedom cruise June 6---finally! I know we are to keep prescription meds in original bottles but what about vitamins & supplements? They are in large bottles, with 500 and 250 in them. Can we get away with putting them all in small container such as a margerine tub?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 PM

Just to avoid problems I'd keep them in the original bottles, or buy smaller bottles to take. Put everything in a clear ziplock bag.

I took all my meds (as a transplant patient I have LOTS) in my backpack going to the UK and they never looked inside on the way there. On the way back we got picked for a complete search (in Boston)and they closely looked at every bottle. No problems.

Dave
Old 05-27-2007, 08:35 AM

I went to a local drug store and purchased a container with seven labeled compartments. (mon, tues, wed,,,, etc.etc.) i put that container filled with daily meds in my carry on and packed the original bottles in my check-in luggage.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Hi Grammabev,
I was on Carnival Freedom the end of March, 2007. I also had my daily meds in the Sun, Mon, Tues container as Drlivingston. I had my vitamins in the same type of container (the larger ones held my vitamins) I took my Prescription form that you get when you pick up your prescription from the drug store, plus I made a copy of the Prescriptions before I took them to the drug store. I didn't take any of the original bottles with me, and everything was fine. I carried them in my carry on bag.
Yes, you definitely have to put everything in see through zip lock bags and any liquid, or cream, toothpaste etc. Everything you put in your carry on had to be in the zip lock bags and no more then 3-4 oz. They are strick about the size of the liquids and creams size.
We got stopped by customs when we got back to N.Y. and the only problem we had was we had an orange that they took from us and said they had to dispose of it properly. Everything you buy as far as food you should buy in a duty free shop or a place where they wrap and seal the cheeses, candy, etc. Then they won't take it from you as far as I know if it's sealed. We didn't buy any of that when we were away.
Have a Great time. The ship is Beautiful. We really enjoyed that cruise.

Sandy p
Costa Atlantica 2/2002-- 2/2005----Magica 2/2006
Concordia 1/2008
HAL MS Zuiderdam 9/03
MS Zaandam 1/04
Sun Princess 9/05
Royal Caribbean :
Majesty of the Seas 11/01
Sovereign of the Seas 12/02
MSC Orchestra 1/09
Ru** Princess 10/09

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 05-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

From someone who flies somewhat frequently (most recently, a transcontinental flight three days ago)...

The only items that need to go into a clear ziploc bag are liquids that you are taking in your carry-on bag. These liquids need to be in containers that are each 3 ounces or less, and all of these containers must fit together into a one-quart ziploc. When going through security, this bag must be taken out of your carry-on and put into one of the provided bins for X-ray.

You can certainly put your prescription medication bottles (pill form) into a ziploc, but it is not necessary. You may also leave these in your carry-on as it goes through the X-ray machine. I do suggest keeping them in one place, as davejohn did, to expedite things if you are chosen by Customs for a screening.

I would also recommend that copies of the prescription accompany you rather than get placed in checked luggage. If there are any questions, you want to have easy access to these -- although I have not yet been asked to show these.

That said, do check the specifics for the airline you will be traveling, as well as any special requirements for your points of departure and destination, particularly if traveling internationally. These will be on the airline's Web site.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Grammabev,

please continue in your original thread on this topic. Thank you!

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread

Tags
bags, bottles, carnival, carry, cruise, etc, lines, lock, medicine, prescription, prescriptions, vitamins, zip