Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM

we have a private tour for the day...

here is a question for those who have been to this port...

if you didnt want a biblical slant what would you see?

restaurant for lunch?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM

I am confused. Biblical slant? It would not be reasonable to see Ephesus and ignore its history. When you sit in the restored theater, and look down at the stage, its just amazing ruins. But than, when you consider that Paul actually preached from that very spot to masses in those very same seats, its simply putting an historical event in a place. Its not a "slant" but rather history. The bible says, "Paul spake to the Ephesians" and this is where it happened. Even as a Jew I felt the power of this history. If you ignore the history, its just a bunch of restored stones with no soul.

Hank
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM

hank thank you..yes it is difficult to separate fact from religion...I have no biblical background...but a masters in history...mostly american and european history..my ancient history is weak...

not sure if paul falls in the history section or religion...

but that is a debate for another board I am sure...lol...

we will do as many ruins as we can in Ephesus...will see the Terrace houses...and would like to see a way of life by visiting a small Turkish town off the beaten path...eat a typical lunch...that is my wish...but we will see..we are a group of 6 so there will need to be some compromises to be made...
Old 03-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Personally, I consider the Bible to be a history book as well as a spiritual "self-help" book.

I also find that sometimes to get to the heart of the history it is easier to read a modern English version like the NIV or the Amplied (just to name two). However, if I am wanting to appreciate 16th century poetry, King James version.

The complete title to the book of Ephesians (or the subtitle depending on your point of view) is Paul's Letter to the Church in Ephesus. I always find that Wikipedia has good background information.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 PM

You will enjoy Ephesus and the Terrace Houses without looking at them from a religious viewpoint. The area is a magnificent part of history. It's one ancient place where I could visualize what life must have been like when the port was at its peak. There is so much beauty there in the architecture and nature. Go with an open mind and be delighted!

Check out the sign for the tourist toilets. Itís good for a few smiles.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Hey Amanda. I see your issue...I think Paul fits both bills- historical and religious. Even if you aren't a 'religious' person, I would think that with your background and appreciation for history, it would be an amazing place to visit. Much of the bibilical text written by Paul is supported in other historical writings of the times. We will be visiting Ephesus this summer for the first time as well. Have a great trip

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruisereview, ephesus, review, reviews, toilets, tourist