Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Hello,

I am taking a Western Mediterranean cruise in September 2008 with Norwegian Gem (NCL) from Barcelona, Spain. Can anyone tell me if booking an excursion through my cruise liner (Norwegian Gem) is worth it? For safe purposes, I already booked an excursion for Rome and Livorno, Italy and Nice, France. I am going at it alone for Barcelona, Spain because I am staying there for two days after my cruise. However, I am worried about Naples/Pompeii, Italy and Valletta, Malta. Would anyone recommend me booking through NCL for those excursion or could I did those on my own? Also, please give me details and tips on what to expect and how to travel to those areas. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Hi, I am going on the Gem with my family Oct 26th. We have spent a great deal of time researching each port and have compiled a spreadsheet with information that you may find useful. We started out having booked excursions with NCL but quickly found with time and a few good people here in the chat room that doing the ports on your own is easy enough. If you would like, contact me directly and I will forward you what I have pulled together. I cannot attached the spreadsheet through cruise chat.
karenwag@ptd.net
Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 AM

In Naples I took a taxi to Pompeii and then Vesuvius
There are a lot of beggars etc in Naples and while I did not feel threatened it is probably better to be careful
Others took the ferry to Capri which leaves right next to where the cruise ships dock
It cost about 120 euro (sorry I do not know how many dollars that is)
Valletta is a lovely town and totally safe
Do not be frightened to use the wonderful old buses from Valletta bus station -very inexpensive and reliable
Old 09-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Hi,

I took the same cruise in September, it was very enjoyable, both on the ship and at the ports. Valetta you will be able to find your way from the ship (there is also a hop-on hop-off tour). Turn right and then sharp left and uphill (you may not see any signs and think you are going the wrong way). We went the wrong way, and took a taxi and the driver initially asked for 15 euros, reduced it to 10 which is the going rate. St John's Cathedral is magnificent, also views of the port from Valetta. After that, a better bet to go to Mdina than the Palace/Armoury which is nothing much.
Nearly all the tours from Naples will take in Pompeii, the tour is expensive but organises the transport and also the guide will explain things inside Pompeii.
In Barcelona we went to Montserrat on our own, quite easy; metro to Catulnya (?) and a pass which includes the train to Montserrat, cable car/funicular to the top and other funicular rides at the top (get off at aeri if taking the cable card and the next stop if funicular). The journey is 1 hour but there is only 1 train per hour so plan your return journey.

David

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, excursion, excursions, gem, mediteranian, mediterranean, mediterrian, ncl, norwegian, report, reviews, safe, tips, trip, western