Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Hoping someone can help me! We are trying to prebook a train ticket from Livorno Centrale to Firenze SMN in Florence. On trenitalia it acts like it doesn't make that trip - which I know is incorrect. It comes up with an error but won't say what the problem is.

Can anyone help me - what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM

I don't know what website you are trying but try here It showed a scedule that takes 1 hour 22 minutes. Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM

thanks for the link - I was looking on trenitalia.com. On your link - tickets could be purchased but only for select times. on Italia rail (railkey.com) It listed all the trains scheduled but did not sell these tickets. Guess we will wait until we get to Italy unless someone has another idea. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM

You must take a train to Pisa and then transfer to a train to Firenze. On the trenitalia.com site, you are now taken to a parent site. The trenitalia link is on the left and about half way down. Be sure to use the 'English' link in the upper right. Also, use the english spellings, not the italian spellings. The english site does not speak Italian.

Bottom line is you are looking at local trains all the way and I don't think that you can book from outside Italy. There are no reserved seats on local trains - just like a bus - first come, first served. If you want to sit, take first class - it's only a few dollars more.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 AM

In Livorno you take the ships shuttle to the City center. As you get off the bus ask which way to the bus going to the station - it should be just around the corner behind the bus.

At the bus depot (it is like a town square) the automated ticket booth has an english button. You hop on to the bus and it is a 10 min ride. At the station don't get into the queue but go to you right to the maschine and hit the english button and you can buy your tickets there (you can even buy return tickets)

The only problem is if you have never been to Florenz you are going to find time is quite aproblem. Leave at least 2 hours prior to sailing if not earlier to accommodate any delays since those happen very often!!! Remember you still have to get from the Station back to the city center and there may not be Taxis at the station unless you take one from the port in the morning and have him return at a certain time in the afternoon to pick you up. However ther is no garantee the driver will be there since they would rather do all day excursions....

The train is a good alternative but leave yourself lot sof time to spare!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the advice and the heads up about the delays. We will definitely take that into consideration. All the tips and advice we have received on this site have been priceless!
Old 05-06-2007, 10:29 PM

Have you tried the Rail Europe site? That is usually where I go to buy Eurail passes and you can purchase individual tickets also. BUT, I'm not sure, but the prices on those tickets might be higher than purchased directly from Trenitalia or even at the station. Anyway, I just checked an the route, there are several stops but it only take 1 hour 22 minutes.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 PM

Oh, the site is www.raileurope.com.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by culater:
Have you tried the Rail Europe site? That is usually where I go to buy Eurail passes and you can purchase individual tickets also. BUT, I'm not sure, but the prices on those tickets might be higher than purchased directly from Trenitalia or even at the station. Anyway, I just checked an the route, there are several stops but it only take 1 hour 22 minutes.
Remember you are in Italy now and 1hour 22 min may mean one thing to YOU but something completely different to the Italien Rail company Always allow for substancial delays or even strikes...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Just came back from my europe cruise. The shuttle bus dropped us off at the town square, The #1 or #2 bus will take you to the train station, buy your bus ticket at the news stand (1 eruo). No need to prebook train ticket, just check the train schedule for onward and return, we caught the train that goes to Firenze without having to switch train. Allow prenty of time for return journey, again buy you bus ticket at the news stand before boarding the bus. If you are going ot Pisa on your way back, you can transfer to a northbond train for one stop and it's less than a 5 minutes walk. Again, check the return train schedule prior to leaving the train station so you don't miss the ship. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
birg, port, ticket, train