Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM

On the Port Review site there are conflicting directions on how to take the train to Athens from the port.

Tom described it as "The 7th stop that you will make will display this sign (photo on site). This is where you want to get off the train, as you are right in the heart of the Plaka district. If for any reason there are a different number of stops, just look for this sign."

Another person posted this on the site "To get to the Akropoli metro station from Piraeus you will have to go to Omonia, change metro lines, and double back a few stations. From the Akropoli station there is a pedestrian street which circles the Acropolis and will take you to the now gentrified Thissio district (if the Thissio station is open, this is an alternate approach to the Acropolis), the Monastiraki area, and back through the Plaka area."

Which is correct?? Is it as difficult as it sounds??

TIA (thanks in advance)
Old 07-20-2006, 06:22 PM

Sorry we did not use the train system although many did without a problem. Guess I was not that adventurous.

Did book Paul from Greek Taxi for a 1/2 day tour. It was AWESOME. I highly recommend it.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cathy

PS I am downloading my 1100+ photos now. You can take a look via my webshots link below.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 07-20-2006, 08:08 PM

Such confuson, but not really so hard. The line from the port does not go directly to the Plaka area, although you can certainly walk from the Omonia stop if you enjoy walking (its the best way to see any city). If you want closer to the Plaka you can change trains at the Monastiraki station (that would be the 7th stop) or the Omonia station (8th stop) and transfer to get to the Syntagma station which is very close to the Plaka. The Plaka is a bit of a tourist trap neighborhood, but it does have a lot of fun shops and houses my favorite restaurant (Daphnes). One warning! The line from Pireaus is often worked by some very professional gangs of pickpockets. Take every precaution to protect your valuables...which is a good idea no matter where you might travel.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:46 AM

Hmmmm, I had no trouble walking to the train station in Piraeus and taking a train directly to the heart of the Plaka district without changing trains. I suspect that both alternatives are correct, as I had heard that I would have to change trains as well and was surprised at how easily I was able to get there.

In either case, taking the train is much more enjoyable than getting mugged by one of the Athens taxi drivers...VBG.

Tom
Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Guess a picture is worth a thousand words (not really that many) Here is a link to the Athens subway map.

http://www.travelinfo.gr/athens/transportation.htm
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 AM

Ahhhh, now it is easy to see. The station that I mentioned in the review is the Monastitaki station. This is located right in the heart of the Plaka with direct access to the Acropolis (up the hill) It is the seventh stop from Piraeus train station without changing trains.

If you want to visit the other "heart" of the Plaka, you can change trains and continue to the Syntagma station. I believe that this station is by the old cathedral?

Hank, thanks for the link and info. This makes it very clear.

Tom
Old 07-23-2006, 12:13 PM

My thanks to you Tom. I did not realize that the Monastitaki station is on the other side of the Plaka district. We always walk in from the Syntagma side which is also not far from our favorite restaurant. Now I know a new way.

Closed Thread

Tags
acropolis, athen, athens, conflicting, cruise, directions, district, picture, piraeus, piraeustrain, plaka, port, station, syntagma, taking, train