Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Hi, does anyone know if there is an easy way to get from the port in Kusadasi to Ephesus, an apparent must see, or is it wise to book an excursion?
I found a local excursion for 45 Euro per person, good deal? Any info would be great!

For most other ports, I'm do Tom's train suggestion, it'll save me a bundle!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM

Guess nobody else is going to answer your request, so I will limber up the little fingers. We have been to Ephesus three times and think it has some of the best ruins in the world. Since its still being excavated (probably will continue for another 100 years) we always find new things on our return. You definitely need to hear a tour guide as you go through the ruins, but there are several options. Of course there is the usual overpriced cruise ship tour where you will be on a large bus with too many people. We did this on our first visit (was on the original Star Princess) and were rushed through the ruins so our tour guide could take us to a jewelry factory (it opened-up for just our tour) where we were held hostage for almost 2 hours. Princess got so many complaints they actually refunded everyone's tour money. On our 2nd trip we simply grabbed a taxi and paid about $10 each way...but that was years ago and the taxi drivers are better now at "ripping-off" us cruise passengers. On the third visit we walked through the bazaar and found the local bus station where we took the local bus(actually an old van) to the bus stop on the main road near the ruins. We than had to hike about a mile up the small road that goes to the ruins before we found the entrance. That bus/van cost us $1 each way and the ruin entrance fee was about $10. Since the ruins were full of cruise ship tours, we simply tagged along on several different tours and listened to quite a few guides. It was fun, many of the guides tell different stories, and we were able to take our time and spend 3 hours in the ruins. Your 45 Euro per person sounds reasonable for these days.. but that assumes you get a decent car and a real professional guide who speaks good English. It used to be that a group of 4 could hire a taxi/guide for about $60 total...but I am not sure of the current price. The Turks are great entreprenaurs and they have been spoiled by cruise ship passengers willing to pay top dollar. On another trip we hired a taxi for 5 hours for $80 and he took us all over the region to see several other interesting ruins (Priene, Miletus, and Didyma). My wife and I really like Turkey and have always found the Turks to be warm, friendly, and always trying to make a dollar. Its unfortunate that there are a few extremists in their country...but 99.9% of the Turks are wonderul hosts.

Hank
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Thank you Hank!
Just the info I needed. I think we will stick a tour guide. The more I read about Ephesus, the more I realize the importance of having someone along that can tell me what I'm looking at. The tour group seemed pretty reasonable, especially compared to the Cruise Ship price and the private tour is 2 hours longer. Thank you for sharing your tips.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Sunny Cal,
Have you done your trip yet? We are going on Holland America 22 Oct sailing. Can you give me some info on the tour you booked for Ephesus?
Old 09-22-2006, 05:14 AM

we have been this summer to Turkey and I can say also that the Turks are so warm and hospitable. We visited Istanbul and Ephesus. Amazing places both. We made private tours insted of making with a large group. Saved time and made excellent tours at both sites. Our guide, Mesut YILMAZ, made a great effort to perform a good tour. We are very happy of being there with him and seeing the places. Ephesus is great. I can advice private tours. Sometimes people to pay less are arranging different things but unfortunately the suffer as a result.
This is my advice,
Good luck,
Old 10-10-2006, 10:12 AM

if you only want to see Ephesus, you should choice the private tours. But if you intend to travel whole of the selcuk-ephesus area (this includes The House Of The Virgin Mary and the Sirince) rent a car will be the most choice for you. There is two kinds of private tour. Half time and full time. If you choose the full time you can pay so much money. You can get a cheaper rent a car with by an obstinate bargaining...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:24 PM

Bag Drag!
Yes, I've just retunred from a great trip. If you'd love a great, knowledgable guide, book an Ephesus tour through
ARISTOTLE TRAVEL
6, Lazaraki Str. 16675 Glyfada Athens
Tel+30)210-8941417 Fax+30)210-8943704
e-mail: aristotle@aristotle.gr web-site: www.aristotle.gr

It was the cheapest by far. We had a huge van for only four people. It's $45.00 person, this includes admission into the sites. Our tour guide's name was Jade, she was great! We were treated to a very authentic Turkish lunch (and extra $3.00 per person) at a local carpet making school. You won't be disappointed. Have a great trip!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Hi!

My wife and I will be on the Emerald Princess on May 29, 2007 for our Mediterranean cruise.

On June 6, 2007 we will be in Kusadasi. We found a great tour operator that will pick us up from the cruise ship and return us to the ship for US$ 38.00. They will provide an English speaking guide and air-conditioned van and show us Ephesus and some of the other sites in that area. The tour is 3.5 hours.

The price is US $38 per person if 4 people go. It gets cheaper when we have more passengers.

Anyone on the Emerald Princess that would like to take in this tour on June 6?

Closed Thread

Tags
book, cruise, epehesus, ephesus, excursions, factory, jewelry, kreuzfahrt, kusadasi, port, ship, sirince, tour, transport, turkey