Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM

From where the NCL Dream docks, are you able to tour the city on your own? Are you able to ride the HOHO bus from this port? how long did it take for any of you to see the sights? By walking? By bus? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kate P.:
From where the NCL Dream docks, are you able to tour the city on your own? Are you able to ride the HOHO bus from this port? how long did it take for any of you to see the sights? By walking? By bus? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Kate,

have a look to this website:

depending when you arrives in Helsinki you find the berth here:

Cruise ship calendar Helsinki.

Here you find the Codes

Looks like you will the call West Harbour.

And here you find a Map. Looks like it is inconvenient outside the city center around the market square.

But you see that there is route 15 (Bus) available. Here you find the map of this route 15.

Looks very unpleasant. You need to change to the subway. The information of Public Transport in Helsinki you find at HKL.

The best is to buy a one day pass which costs 6 EUR.

Poor girl. We were lucky to berth directly in front of the Market Square when we called Helsinki this summer.

Have a nice trip.

But anyway: Helsinki is a beautiful city. Instead of HOHO-Bus: you can just use tram route 3 which goes like an "8" (double loop) or to use sightseeing from the waterfront. All boats leaving from Market Square.

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 AM

Hi,

you already got very good information!
Yes, it's a pitty that you'll call the Western harbour, but don't stay on this bad impression!
I suggest you take the bus number 15 (busses are very clean and hardly crowded in Finland) get a tourist day ticket from the driver (everyone speaks english over there), get on the metro at Ruoholahti (don't worry these are all small distances and everthing is clearly indicated) and get off Kamppi (the next stop I think). From there you are on walking distance to the famous Church in the Rock that you should not miss. From there you can walk to the city center or take the tram. Walk down Esplanadi to the harbour and market place. The market is everyday till 3pm. You can find nice souvenirs and eat for quite cheap there. You should also have a look into the ancient market hall. If you have enough time, keep walking along the seashore (passing the Silja Line boats)till the Café Ursula. Very nice place to have a coffee and a typical finnish cinnamon roll (be aware alcoholic beverages are quite expensive in Finland).
Another place for good souvenirs is the dpt store Stockmann's. From the market place you will also see the beautiful white cathedral and the orthodox cathedral. These are really the main attractions. Personally I see no interest in taking a guided bus tour.

Again, if you have a lot of time, at the market place you could either take a small cruise boat to the archipelago or then walk to the part of the market that is closest to the red orthodox cathedral and hope on the boat (free with your HKL tourist card!!)to Suomenlinna. It's a beautiful island with a fortress, museums, beach..Don't take the boat going there that is at the beginning of the market place.

Have a nice day in Helsinki. Don't forget to note the timetable of the no 15 bus to get back to your boat ontime.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 AM

AnjaP and HeinBloed, i appreciate all your suggestions. I apologize if i haven't had a chance yet to read the answers until today as I've been working 12 hour nightshifts. Thank you all so very much.

Closed Thread

Tags
berth, boat, bus, cruise, cruises, forum, helsinki, ho, hoho, ncl, port, review, tram, warnemunde