Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Hello all you experienced cruisers! Can you give me some of your first hand advice at what excursions are worthwhile from the cruiseline and which are better to find on own? We are cruising from Venice, then on to Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Naples, Rome, Florence, Nice, then ending up in Barcelona. We have no restrictions physically, but don't want to go broke either. Thank you so much!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Hi Teresa, and welcome to cruise-chat! I see your family decided on the Mediterranean!

Are there any shore excursions that you've seen that interest you? Also, what types of sites would you like to visit? Are you into history, architecture, dining, etc.? That could help narrow the choices.

(BTW, I hear you on the going broke part. We're currently looking at excursions for our own summer cruise. It adds up quickly with a family!)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Venice you can DIY
buy a vaporetto pass or walk get a good map of Venice so when you are lost you can find your way
Dubrovnik you can do the walled city on your own
Santorini DIY...you can explore Fira or take the local bus to other locales
some sites to check
http://europeforvisitors.com/v...riving_in_venice.htm
http://www.meetingvenice.it/en...tting-around-venice/
http://www.santorini.net/home.html
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 AM

This might seem to be a flippant remark, but I do not think any cruise line excursions are worthwhile when you consider cost/benefit. Now that I have had my say, you should go forth and book whatever you find appealing. Just know that in most cases you can do things on your own at a far lower cost or find better excursions (often at lower cost) by booking private tours.

Hank
Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 PM

I have to agree with Hank here. You are going to get more bang for your buck (or Euro) if you are willing and able to do the tours on your own.

With a few rare exceptions, anywhere the ship tours can take you, you can also go see by yourself. The ONLY benefits of the ship tours is the transportation is already arranged and the added insurance that if the tour is late getting back to the ship, the ship is responsible for either waiting for the tour or getting you to the next port.

If the tour you want to go on is a LONG way from the port, then you may consider taking the ships tour and paying the extra money. But most of your ports are close and you can get to the popular places easily.

Another hint, if you can find another couple that want to go to the same place, consider sharing the cost of a taxi. Most charge per taxi, so if you can fill it up and split the cost equally you can save money.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Thank you Lyn, Hank, and Jim for your insight. I really appreciate the websites too Lyn, such valuable resources. I know that I need to do some travel book research as well, but thought I should start here to narrow down my choices. We are travelling with our 15 year old son and 11 year old daughter. We have told them that this is our (me and my husband's) first time visiting these places, so our choices trump theirs....but of course we want everyone to have a fulfilling experience. I want to enjoy the local flavor of each destination, of course see some of the places that make them famous, but try not to get too caught up in the "touristy" sites. I do worry about timing...missing the ship would not be a good thing!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Teresa, I hope you and your family have a great cruise and find what you are looking for in Europe.

Hank
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Hi teresa i think we are going on the same cruise as you . Is it on the 15th of June. We are a couple in our 40s we will be celebrating our silver wedding anniversary while we are on board the summit.We also think some of the trips are a little pricey so it would be great if you would like to share some of the transport to Athens, Rome and maybe Florence. This is the first time on celebrity we went on our first cruise last year with royal carribean we had a great time but wanted to be in Venice over night. What they say is true once you have been on a cruise you are hooked.It was one of the best holidays i have ever had.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Are you still looking for info or have you made your decisions?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Hi british cruiser, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Glad to see you've joined the rest of the addicts on board our website. You've said it precisely, once bitten---well, you just can't go back. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise, and once again, welcome aboard!

Closed Thread

Tags
12, 2005, 3, al, athens, birmingham, celebrity, cruise, cruises, insignia, june, mediterranean, night, port, review, reviews, rome, summit