Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 07:43 PM

I will be arrving in namples on July 2, 2008. I would like to see Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii in one day. In what order should I do this trip and is it doable in one day?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, it is. As I posted in another thread, you can take a ship excurions to Capri; then to Sorrento for lunch; then off to Pompeii, and still get back to the ship in time.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 PM

See Capri blog in half day then to Sorrento and Pompeii http://see-capri.blogspot.com/
Old 06-26-2008, 07:22 AM

Guess I should add to this thread how easy this would be to do on your own and save big bucks over the tour prices. From the ship you walk off the pier, turn left, and within 3 minutes arrive at the ferry pier (this is in Naples). Take the high speed jet boats (there are two companies and often about 2 per hour in the early morning) to Capri (you are actually taking the same boats used by the tours) and it takes about 50 min to get to Capri. When you get to Capri, check the schedule for boats to Sorrento and than you can take the funicular up to Capri Town and do your thing. Later, you come back down to the marina (Marina Grande) and take the boat over to Sorrento (about 20 min ride). In Sorrento, you would take the train (its the Circumvesuviani Line) to Naples. These trains usually run twice an hour and take about an hour to get to Naples. About half way between the two cities you can get off at the "Pompeii Scavi" stop and walk across the road to the ruins at Pompeii (you will want at least two hours here). After Pompeii, just go back to the same train station and grab the next train to Naples. At Naples, you can either walk back to the pier (about a 25 min walk) or grab a taxi.

At Pompeii, you can pay to join an English speaking tour (usually about 10 Euros plus the 12 Euro admission fee) or you could also rent the do it yourself audio tour.

There is one more option on this route. If you take the train beyond Pompeii, just before you get to Naples you will come to the "Ercolano Scavi" station. That is a short walk from the ruins of Herculaneum. The major problem with this excursion is you really need a 20 hour day to do it all justice. But its fun and pretty easy.

Hank
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Well we did Herculaneum, Pompeii and Sorento via the train from Naples. So I think if you subbed Capri in there for the Herculaneum you could swing it. We originally intended on doing this, but ended up not going to Capri. I had printed out the ferry boat schedules in advance. But we got to the train station too early to get a train that went all they way to Pompeii and would have had to wait an hour for it. The ticket agent said we could go to the Ercolano Scavi station and get a ticket to Pompeii from there. So since we were there we just went to see Herculaneum (which it a straight walk down the street from the station towards the sea.) We enjoyed it more than pompeii since it was better preserved than Pompeii
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
bleue, blog, capri, cruise, day, ferry, grotte, halfday, high, naples, naplescapri, schedule, sorrento, speed