Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 11:03 AM

Hi Iris,
I was in Copenhagen for about 5 days in 1990. Let me tell you the "don't miss" things there: the Amalienborg Palace during the changing of the guards (similar to Buckingham Palace); the Rosenburg Castle (small royal residence, takes maybe 30 minutes)' the main shopping mall, which is a 15' wide pedestrian steet that has all kinds of shops up and down, especially furs. Can't remember the name of the street, but very famous. Go to a pub and drink Aquavit. If you are from southern La., then you will appreciate this treat. It is a liqueur that Scandanavians are very fond of. They drink it as a beer chaser, but my sister and I loved it just as it was, chilled. Walking the rest of the main city is really easy, but almost all cobblestones. Most of the places are worth walking past, but I don't remember them so they must not have been spectacular. The Little Mermaid is a huge disappointment. The less-than-lifesize bronze statue is just a few feet off the shore of the harbor. We were there in November so Tivoli Gardens was not open. It seems that this was a real shame. EVERYONE I have met said that you must go to Tivoli. Finally, and I know this will sound really strange, but one of the things you CANNOT miss in Copenhagen are the hotdog vendors! They make dogs different from anywhere else. They have these foot-long rolls that they pierce with a rod to create a hole. Then just before they drop the dog in the hole, they squirt in the most uncredible sauce, like a garlic mayo. Heavenly! My sister and I ate at least one a day, every day we were there. And they are cheap, especially compared to everything else in Denmark. Denmark seemed to be a very clean and safe place, especially in the daytime. Have a great time. I would love to go back.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Just returned from a 14 day Baltic cruise on Celebrity's Constellation. Our itinerary was basically the same - we did not go to Tallinn - we went to Rothstock, Germany instead which had a side trip to Berlin. We also pretty much booked overall tours of the city on each stop - these were usually in the morning or after we docked. They were nice because it gave you a lot of information about the city and an overview. There was always time when you returned from your tour to have lunch on the ship and then take off on your own. Celebrity provided shuttle buses into the heart of town on all out stops (with the exception of Russia). This trip was a WONDERFUL experience - hopefully you will have good weather - we did. These ports are all so beautiful. I never felt unsafe anywhere - you just have to take the usual precautions you do anywhere. Enjoy yourself.

Closed Thread

Tags
tivoli