Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2004, 08:42 AM

I will be cruising the Baltic in July and am cruious if my choices for excursions are good ones. If you have visited these places, please let me know if my choices are pretty good ones. Copenhagen-The walking tour to see Little Mermaid, Citadel, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn, Hojbro Plads, King's New Square Stockholm-Royal Stockholm to see Royal Palace, Coronation Church, City Hall Helsinki-City Highlights-to see Senate Square, Temppeliaukio Rock Church, Sibelius Monument St. Ptersburg-Grand St. Petersburg and Hermitage to see the Hermitage and Smolny Cathedral A day in Moscow to see all highlights Tallinn-best of Tallinn to see Toompea Hill, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Dome Church, Town Hall Sq., Holy Ghost church Gydnia Poland-City Sampler to see the Old Town of Gdansk, St. Mary's church Oslo-open air museum and Oslo Open Air Folk Museum, Vigeland Sculpture Park, and Homenkollen I save all year to take these trips and research extensively to pick the best excursions; but if I can get information from past travelers; this would probably serve better than my research. Thanks, Iris
Old 02-28-2004, 08:42 AM

I will be cruising the Baltic in July and am cruious if my choices for excursions are good ones. If you have visited these places, please let me know if my choices are pretty good ones. Copenhagen-The walking tour to see Little Mermaid, Citadel, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn, Hojbro Plads, King's New Square Stockholm-Royal Stockholm to see Royal Palace, Coronation Church, City Hall Helsinki-City Highlights-to see Senate Square, Temppeliaukio Rock Church, Sibelius Monument St. Ptersburg-Grand St. Petersburg and Hermitage to see the Hermitage and Smolny Cathedral A day in Moscow to see all highlights Tallinn-best of Tallinn to see Toompea Hill, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Dome Church, Town Hall Sq., Holy Ghost church Gydnia Poland-City Sampler to see the Old Town of Gdansk, St. Mary's church Oslo-open air museum and Oslo Open Air Folk Museum, Vigeland Sculpture Park, and Homenkollen I save all year to take these trips and research extensively to pick the best excursions; but if I can get information from past travelers; this would probably serve better than my research. Thanks, Iris
Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 AM

Iris, with the exception of Russia, you can do just about everything you mentioned "on your own" First, check out www.PortReviews.com. All of the ports you mentioned are there with detailed information.

You will have a great cruise and do not miss the Hermitage no matter what happens.

Tom
Old 02-28-2004, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the response Tom. I will be able to reserve the excursions 120 days prior to the trip and I will definitly go for the Hermitage right away as to not miss out. I was planning on reserving some of the excursions with the cruise line because I am going alone and not very sure about going off alone. The prices aren't too very bad and it's the security that drew me towards joining the reserved excursions. Thanks again for the info. Have a Nice day!!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:37 PM

Iris, to make most of your stay in St. Petersburg, you may consider arranging a private tour with your own tour guide. No big groups, flexible itinerary, and you get to choose the museums you want to visit yourself.

For more info, have a look at http://www.travelinrussia.com Both St. Petersburg/suburbia and day trips to Moscow are offered.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-29-2004, 07:27 PM

Hi Alex, I appreciate the response. I will be taking this trip alone. Would you say it is safe to go alone with a private agent? Other locations would not worry me as much as Russia. I am not saying it's a bad thing, but all feedback I ever get is to be with others while in Russia. This is a first for me. Any intelligent explanation is definitly accepted and appreciated. Thanks Again
Old 04-05-2004, 12:27 PM

Iris, sorry for delay in responding - just got back to my PC. As for security concerns, they are valid like in any big city. The best advice I can give you is to have someone show you around the city (like some private tour guide service). In this case they will meet you near the ship, remain with you during all your time in St. Petersburg, and make sure you get back to the ship in evening. The only concern is that price-wise touring alone is pricey than in a group of 3-6 people. So, if you could find someone to share this tour with you, it will be more practical. Of course, if the money is not a problem, then this is THE way to go.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:48 PM

There are also visa concerns when visiting Russia. If you stay with the cruise line's excursions, you are covered, as the cruise lines get a "blanket" visa for their passengers. If you go off on your own, you should have your own visitor's visa with you. Considering Alex's comments on the prices of private tours, I think you will be best off going with ship's excursions there. Have a great time!
Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 PM

Really depends on Iris interests. If she wants to visit some museums not included in the ship's programs, or spend more time in the Hermitage, or take a metro ride - she would not be able to do so as a member of a 50-people group. Besides, a large group always moves only as fast as its slowest participant..

This is not to say that cruise ship tours are inherently bad, no. But if it is to be a once-in-a-lifetime visit, then maybe it's a good idea to get a visa to get a better feeling of the city like St. Petersburg.

Just my 2 cents -
Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 AM

All information is so very helpsul and will be taken into serious consideration. Thanks for the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without feedback these trips could have regretable end results.

Closed Thread

Tags
tivoli