Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM

We're planning a cruise out of Venice this fall. We're looking to stay in the city for a night or two, but could use info for any hotels.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi,

My dad and I are doing Greek Isles cruise leaving from Venice this fall. The Venice hotels are very expensive. As it turns out, it was about the same price to book a 2-night stay through Princess which we did. I am told that there are hotels near the airport which are cheaper, but when you combine that with the cost of getting into and out of Venice for a couple days, it may well be a wash.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM

we are going to do a TA our of Venice, so we're flying into Marco Polo, and our travel agent is going to book us into an inexpensive hotel near the train station..she says it's about$150 a night per room....will let you know.
Quote:
Originally posted by waterart:
Hi,

My dad and I are doing Greek Isles cruise leaving from Venice this fall. The Venice hotels are very expensive. As it turns out, it was about the same price to book a 2-night stay through Princess which we did. I am told that there are hotels near the airport which are cheaper, but when you combine that with the cost of getting into and out of Venice for a couple days, it may well be a wash.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:46 AM

When in Venice, we always stay at the Casa alla Fenice. It's right in San Marco and is easily accessible to numerous restaurants and vaporetto stops. I have never paid more than $150 per night. When it comes time to go to the cruise ship, the hotel staff will be happy to arrange a private water taxi for you. This is the best part. The water taxi will promptly pick you up literally 20 feet from the front door of the hotel. From there, you will be transported to a pier with 100 yards of the cruise ship. We never even have to touch our luggage. Cruise ship personnel take our luggage straight from the taxi and it magically appears in our stateroom by the time the safety drill is over. The water taxi usually costs about 60 euros but is one of the best bargains in Venice. This is a link to the hotel's website: casa alla fenice
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

DrL, Here is a case when you can give us some advice. We will be in Venice in early Oct to catch the Emerald of the Seas back to FLL. I seem to recall there was a local problem a while back that resulted in the water taxis refusing to go to the port. I belive it had something to do with the port authority rules or fees (not sure of the exact reason). Do you know if there is still an issue? At this point we have booked a reasonbly priced place within walking distance of the Piazzale Roma which avoids having to use the water taxis (and also allows us to take advantage of the cheap bus in from the airport). As much as we like staying around San Marco, we figure we save several hundred dollars by staying near Piazzale Roma. On the other hand, perhaps we are getting too darn old to walk through the streets dragging our luggage up and down over bridges

Also, if you have an recent restaurant recommendations please share!

Hank
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
We will be in Venice in early Oct to catch the Emerald of the Seas back to FLL.
Emerald of the Seas?

Sandy
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Geez, Guess we have been in Puerto Vallarta too long and too many margaritas. Emerald of the Seas should have been the Emerald Princess. But, guess that would not be a bad name for a RCI ship.

Hank
Old 02-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Hank, like you, I am away from home right now so I do not have my European info with me. As soon as I get home, I will give you the names of the restaurants that we liked. As far as the water taxi is concerned, I have never had a problem getting them to take me to the cruise terminal. The receptionist at the hotel makes the arrangements and everything goes like clockwork.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks DrL. We will look forward to your advice. As much as we love Venice, we have always found it difficult to find decent restaurants for a reasonable price.

Hank
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 AM

There is a moderately priced Holiday Inn which has excellent reviews, right at the train station, just a short ride from central Venice. Although earlier this year our friends stayed nearby, not there, they went to see the property and thought it was wonderful. It is the Holiday Inn Venice East-Quarto D'Altino. This is NOT the HI express by the same name, and that one is much further from the station. We are staying there precruise in the spring. You said you were going in the "fall" so I took a stab and looked up early October. The nonrefundable rate was 90 euros and the best flexible rate was 115 euros. If you are senior or AAA member, the rest flexible rate appears to be 98 or 99 euros.

Closed Thread