Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 09:40 AM

We are disembarking our cruise ship early morning in the port of Civitavecchia. Does anyone know if there are trains or buses that go from this port to the Leonardo DaVinci airport(FCO) and how much it would cost? Any weblinks would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM

Joyceh, try www.airportconnection.it. We took the shuttle from FCO to our hotel in rome for 65 euros total (we stayed in rome 2 days prior to our east med cruise last June), or try the cruise line offer although i must admit celebrity charged us an arm and a leg 80 usd pp one way , so you may be better off w an independent shuttle company. Happy sailing. Angel
Old 08-15-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the website. I'll compare rates versus the cruiseline. We will be staying in Rome precruise for 5 days. Did you stay at a good hotel you'd recommend?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:23 AM

Yes, we just did it a month or so ago. Here is how it works. Take the ship's shuttle to the port entrance with your luggage. Walk with your luggage about 5 blocks to the train station. Board the train with your luggage. Get off the train at the second station in Rome. Schlep your luggage off the train, move you and your luggage down the stairs to the tunnel, go to another track, climb the stairs with your luggage, get on the train to the airport with your luggage and ride until it terminates at the airport. Schlep your luggage into the airport and check in for your flight.

Would I recommend it? Only if your have an easy to manage load and everyone carries their own. I can't remember the exact cost, but it is very inexpensive.

There were a total of 6 of us (3 guys and 3 ladies) and schleping the luggage almost killed us....it was extremely hot. About the time we were carrying the luggage up the stairs to the connecting train, I would have paid anything to have taken a limo instead.

Have a great cruise.

Tom
Old 08-17-2006, 12:39 PM

My husband and I just took a 10-day cruise that disembarked in Civitavecchia. We took the train to Termini Station in Rome, and we were robbed at two stations before our stop. We lost our laptop computer which had all of our photos from our entire vacation. We were devestated.

If I had it to do over again, I would hire a private driver or take a taxi to the airport. I will never ever travel on a train in Europe with multiple bags of luggage to keep track of. Trains can be very chaotic and crowded. To me, better to spend a few extra bucks to ensure that you get home with all of your precious cargo than to go through the termoil of being robbed in a foreign country on vacation.

Alicia
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyceh:
Thanks for the website. I'll compare rates versus the cruiseline. We will be staying in Rome precruise for 5 days. Did you stay at a good hotel you'd recommend?
We stayed at two hotels in Rome, before and after our cruise. Before, we stayed at Hotel Teatro di Pompeo, which was built on the remains of Pompei's theater where Julius Ceasar was assasinated. The hotel was beautiful, in a great neighborhood, free buffet breakfast, and within walking distance to everything. Very close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Loved it. After our cruise, we stayed at Hotel Diana, which is within walking distance to Termini Station and all major sites. About a 10 minute walk to Trevi Fountain. Also a great hotel, free buffet breakfast, friendly English-speaking staff. Our shower flooded the entire bathroom each time we took a shower, it was not properly constructed to prevent the water flow from out of the shower. Price there could not be beat.

Alicia

Closed Thread

Tags
citavecchia, cittavecchia, civitavecchia, civittivechia, civivechia, cruise, fco, hotel, panteon, port, reiew, review, station, termini