Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 AM

I have reading all the posted advice with interest. We are doing a Med cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy and will be at the Naples Port on Sunday, Sept 23rd. We are a group of 20 celebrating 50th birthdays & 25th wedding anniversaries but we are not all planning on taking the same excursions. My husband and I have been to Naples, Pompei, Capri & Sorrento before(although long ago)& we prefer not to go on large organized tours... this time would like to experience the towns on the Amalfi coastline...Amalfi, Positano and maybe Ravello. We may have a few other couples join us. I am trying to decide between a private driver or simply taking ferries/hydrofoils from the Naples port to the towns. I am however very confused by all the different ferry websites and schedules. There seems to multiple companies and the prices vary. Is the Metro del Mare the most reasonable? If anyone can help me with the decision between the private driver and doing our own thing via ferries, I would be most grateful. As well, some clarification about the fast ferries would be helpful.

Thanks
Tina
Old 07-28-2007, 01:35 PM

Tina, If you want to really experience the Amalfi coast (we love this region) you are going to need to use the roads, whether it be by private car, tour bus, or the public SITA buses. The ferries/jet boats are very limiting since there are only a few boats a day that can get you to Positano or Amalfi and they do not always fit a one-day schedule. Besides, part of the fun of the Amalfi Drive is driving on the Amalfi Drive, not looking up at the road from the sea. If you are not comfortable renting cars and going on your own than my suggestion is to find a decent private driver (I cannot help with this since we always rent cars). The public SITA bus that runs between Sorrento and Amalfi is another option, but it can be awfully crowded (standing room only) and begs for tourists with a real spirit of adventure. With regard to Ravello, you can only get there from Amalfi and you can use either a local bus, taxi, or your private driver (assuming you have a driver). You will also want to allot sufficient time to really walk through Positano (at least 2 hours).

Hank
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Hank
Thanks so much for your reply. My husband and I have driven the coastline many years ago but given that we are only there for the day, I thought it might be fun & more relaxing having a driver take us and some of our friends. Divided by 6 or 8, the cost may be comparable. I have contacted a number of private tour companies who have responded immediately....very impressed. Thanks for your advice. It has helped me confirm my plans.
Tina
Old 07-28-2007, 07:08 PM

You are most certainly welcome. It sounds like you have a good plan and I am sure you will have a great port day. We enjoyed the Amalfi Coast so much on a couple of cruises that last year (May 06) we finally spent an entire week in residence at a wonderful hotel on the side of the cliff in Praiano (about 5 miles East of Positano). The week was magical and we are planning to return for another 5 days to a week next May.

Hank
Old 07-28-2007, 07:20 PM

Hank,
Sounds wonderful.....I'm jealous.

Enjoy!!!
Tina

Closed Thread

Tags
amalfi, drivers, hydrofoil, naples, port, private