Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 05:47 AM

Hi!
We will be docked in Naples from 7a.m. to 5p.m. off of the Jewel on 7/12.
Is there enough time to do both Capri and Pompeii? If not, can you recommend which of the two we should do?
We will be traveling with small children, if that makes a difference.
Many thanks for your advice.
Norma
Old 06-03-2006, 01:30 PM

Hi Norma,
if you will take the train Circumvesuviana from the main station of Naples to Pompeji Scavi (you can go by taxi from the port to the train station - time from Naples to Pompeji about 45 minutes), you can show your children Pompeji. Afterwards maybe you stop at Herculaneum (Ercolano) - that is the way back to Naples - to see more of the ancient vesuvian spectacle. And than you will be so groggy to do nothing else than beeing on your ship till departure...
Alternative: Capri. The hydrofoils and the other ships start to Capri some hundred metres left from your ships landing. Capri is a beautiful isle with thousends of tourists....
We stayed at Naples for a complete week, with children too. We had more time. I suggest Pompeji (and maybe Ercolano).
If you are interested, I will give you some links.
Ask for that.
For the next six days I will stay at the little isle of Norderney (Germany).
Regards
Uwe
Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Many thanks for your information. It is quite helpful. Do you know about the ease of getting a large taxi/minibus from Messina to Taormina.
Obviously I need something to hold 7?
I have read the port reviews but would be quite interested in any other links you could suggest.
Thanks again,
Norma
Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 AM

Hi Norma,
sorry, no experience with getting a large taxi or minibus from Messina to Taormina. I have never been there.
Here is a link to Porta Napoli, where you can learn something about Naples, Pompeji and so on:
http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/eng.html

The hydrofoils start from the port named Beverello, left hand side from the cruise terminal. Here is a link to the timetables of the ships (sorry, only in german)route Napoli - Capri:
http://www.capritourism.com/de/ship_...Napoli+-+Capri

and route Capri-Napoli:
http://www.capritourism.com/de/ship_list.php?percorso=C...+Napoli&submit=Start

Have a nice day
Uwe
Old 06-09-2006, 05:06 AM

Norma,
with this link, you will reach the Port of Napoli - site:

http://www.directferries.co.uk/napoli.htm

The complete Napoli Ferry Service with all destinations.

Regards
Uwe
Old 06-09-2006, 05:14 AM

@ Norma,
if you need a map from Napoli, click here:

http://www.big-italy-map.co.uk/map-of-naples-map.htm

Regards
Uwe
Old 06-09-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Normarea:
Many thanks for your information. It is quite helpful. Do you know about the ease of getting a large taxi/minibus from Messina to Taormina.
Obviously I need something to hold 7?
I have read the port reviews but would be quite interested in any other links you could suggest.
Thanks again,
Norma
Hi Norma,

We visited Messina and Taormina in October. We booked a private tour guide that took us to where they filmed the Godfather, and also to Taormina. I loved Taormina. It is beautiful there. Lots of things to see - Greek Theatre w/ spectacular views, lots of boutique shops and wonderful places to eat.

I did notice that when we got off the ship there were taxis and vans there but don't know if they were picking up passengers who had booked tours.

Are you planning to do your own driving or having someone drive you? I can give you the name of the tour company we used. The roads leading to these places are very twisty, windy and mountainous. The scenery is beautiful though.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM

Norma,

We booked the ship's tour and visited both Capri and Pompeii. We went to Capri first via hydrofoil (the seas were very rough that day), took the funicular to the top, had lunch there, browsed in the stores and took the hydrofoil back. The bus then took us to Pompeii where we spent a couple of hours w/ a tour guide. Pompeii is still my favorite place that we have visited. It is amazing. I do not know what the ages of your children are and they may not be interested in seeing Pompeii. There is lots of walking on uneven surfaces at Pompeii.

There is an archeological museum in Naples that has lots of artifacts from Pompeii that people say is interesting.

It is a very full and tiring day so you may want to pick one thing to do. I know an excellent tour guide that friends booked and he took them to Pompeii and along the Amalfi Coast.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
There is an archeological museum in Naples that has lots of artifacts from Pompeii that people say is interesting.
It is so as "people say". We (my family and I) visited the museum. There are artefactes that you cannot see in Pompeji.If you have not enough time to go to Pompeji, take a taxi to the museum. You will not repent.
Have a nice day in Napoli. We love this city.
Uwe
Old 06-10-2006, 04:37 PM

i could not imagine being so close and not seeing Pompeii. it was the highlight of the trip for me last time. you just can't believe it until you see it. and i think it would capture children's imaginations. it's also VERY easy to reach by train. the train stops right at the entrance gate!

Closed Thread

Tags
capri, caprii, capris, cruise, forum, kids, messina, naples, pompei, pompeii, pompeji, port, taxis, tour, verses, versus