Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 AM

We are leaving next week for the 10 day Med. trip and have been doing a lot of researching. I just read a few comments and suggestions about the Naples port. We will be there from 7-7. I know this is a lot to do, but would like to see Capri, Sorrento, Almalfi coast, Positano, and a little bit of Pompeii. Saw the info on the different modes of transportation, but still not sure if it is duable, and if so, what would be the best way to accomplish the adventure?
Thanks so much,
Deb
Old 07-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Deb,
welcome to the cruise-chat. I hope you will always find waht you are surching for.
To your question: I believe it is impossible to see Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi coast, Positano and Pompeji between 8 AM and 6 PM. You need a whole day for Capri, Sorrento and Pompeji. In the European Port Chat you will find a lot fof hints therefore.
Click here for more information:
http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/eng.html

The ferries timetable from/to Amalfi:

http://www.amalficcoast.com/timetable_ferries.htm

Have a nice day in Naples and around
Uwe
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 AM

About the only way you could do it if it were a once in a lifetime trip, would be to take the first ferry to Capri, then the first ferry from Capri to Sorrento, then negotiate a taxi to take you to Amalfi and Positano leaving time for a short visit to Pompeii before heading back to the port.

That would be doable based on the traffic, but one traffic accidnet along the way and you might well miss the ship. Also, Pompeii is HUGE! You would really have to focus to see it in a short amount of time.

Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 07-10-2006, 10:20 PM

I have to agree with Uwe. It would be very challenging and almost impossible to accomplish. Traffic is normally heavy in Naples and you don't want to rush everything. Capri and Pompeii are amazing and best enjoyed slowly. Best of luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 PM

We have been to this part of Europe many times (was just there in mid-may for a week) and it would be impossible to do it all in a day. There are also some current problems with the ferries to Capri (they recently had a one-day strike) because the ferry company wants to reduce service and the islanders are furious. Its a big mess and not sure how or when it will be resolved. Pompeii will take a good 2- 3 hours and this is a fast pace (admission is 10 Euros). You can get to Pompeii on the Circumvesuviania train line from Naples (get off at the Pompeii Scavi station) and you could take the same train down to Sorrento after Pompeii. But the Amalfi drive is best left as a full day. In May, we stayed in Praino (for a week) which is 7 miles past Positano..and it took us about an hour to drive to Sorrento on a quiet day. In summer traffic this same drive can take 1 1/2 hours...and this is only half way to Amalfi from Sorrento. After reading your post my instincts tell me you would be better off taking an organized tours...even though I personally hate tours. Just finding the right train in the Naples train station (its on the lower level down the stairs) can be an adventure for someone who has little experience traveling in Europe. Under ideal circumstances you could take the train to Pompeii, continue on the same train line to Sorrento, take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri, and than the hydrofoil from Capri back to Naples (it docks adjacent to the cruise port), but this is a stretch.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:40 PM

You know what, I jst came back from my Eastern Mediterreanian cruise aboard Galaxy and I felt really bad not being able to see Capri. I booked a tour for Sorrento and Pompeii and we're pretty much out for almost nine hours. Our tour guide was excellent, just wished the ship would have stayed for a couple of days or so on Naples coz you can't really do Capri/ Sorrento/ Pompeii in one day without rushing due to time constraints. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 PM

AngelCruiser,, your post makes me smile. We have been to Naples 4 times as a port of call, and still did not get to see everything in the area that was on our "wannasee" list. Finally, this past May we spent a full week in a hotel on a cliff between Positano and Amalfi and day-tripped (we had a rental car) to all kinds of places on the Amalfi Coast. After a full week (every minute was wonderful) we only concluded that we need to return for another week. Cruises are great for showing you where to return, but do not give you enough time to really visit an area.

Hank
Old 07-23-2006, 07:57 AM

Naples offers so much to see & do it is nearly impossible to fit it all in. And if you have many ships in port the lines & traffic will slow you down.
I have been to the area 4 times now & finally have done all the sites you mention.
Finally got over to Capri this cruise. Lovely island. The Amalfi Coast Drive is something you need to see too. Stopping along the way to see Sorrento & Positano.
Hard to imagine doing a little of Pompeii, but, guess if you set a time limit you may be able to stick to it. Again the crowds may influence that too.

Good Luck & ENJOY your cruise.

Cathy

PS Check out my 2 new webshots albums to see my photos.

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 08-27-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ANGELCRUISER:
You know what, I jst came back from my Eastern Mediterreanian cruise aboard Galaxy and I felt really bad not being able to see Capri. I booked a tour for Sorrento and Pompeii and we're pretty much out for almost nine hours. Our tour guide was excellent, just wished the ship would have stayed for a couple of days or so on Naples coz you can't really do Capri/ Sorrento/ Pompeii in one day without rushing due to time constraints. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 AM

Angelcruise
My husband and I will be going to there in October on the Golden Princess and want to do a tour of Pompeii and Sorrento. Can you tell me if you booked your tour through the ship or through a private tour. If private, which company did you use. If through the ship, did they give you enough time in Pompeii? Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, capri, cruise, day, jetfoils, naples, naplescapri, napoli, pm, port, private, ship, stop, tour, trip