Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM

We are doing the NCL Gem Western Med cruise on November 9th. Does anyone know what to see in the Canary Islands? We stop in Arrecife one day and Las Palmas the next day. All I know is my greatgrandparents were from there, but I didn't know them!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 AM

Las palmas is in Gran canaria
I took a jeep safari which was excellent and got off the beaten track in the mountains
Arrecife in Lanzarote

You can visit the Timote national park (probably spelled it wrong)where you can see meat being cooked in the active volcanic rocks
Lanzarotes resorts are small but pleasant for a visit
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Gran Canaria Las Palmas is the capital, the beach is Sandy & a natural reef for safe bathing only a short distance from the port ,plenty of shops restaraunts there should plenty happening as it is the start of their season. it is a duty free port perfumes tobacco & liquor is cheap.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maggie joy:
We are doing the NCL Gem Western Med cruise on November 9th. Does anyone know what to see in the Canary Islands? We stop in Arrecife one day and Las Palmas the next day. All I know is my greatgrandparents were from there, but I didn't know them!
First of all Welcome to cruisechat.com.
Click here for more information about Lanzarote and its highlights.

A MUST is the National Park of Timanfaya
or
the Cuevas de los Verdes.

Look at this map. There you will find the locations.
Have a nice day on the island
Regards
Uwe
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM

We are on the same NCL cruise and so I've been interested in what everyone has to say. We are wondering if maybe we should rent a car for the day in Arrecife - the island seems to be quite small and probably easy to drive around.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 AM

I agree with Uwe. You MUST see Timanfaya National park. I spent a week in Lanzarote and went all over the island. That was by far the best thing to see. It's a volcanic park and it's like nothing you've ever seen. It's been used in Planet of the Apes and other movies as the "after the end of the world" scenes because that's what it looks like. You can see shops and beaches anywhere, but this is something you won't see anywhere else in the world. It's amazing. If I remember correctly, they don't allow personal cars in the park and the only way to see it is on a tour bus.

Closed Thread

Tags
arrecife, canaria, canary, cruise, gran, grand, island, islands, las, palmas, port, review, reviews, spain, visit