Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 AM

Hello everyone, I will be traveling on the Carnival Freedom September 22, 2007. We will be docking in Livorno and I want to go to Florence on my own by train. Does anyone know if Carnival provide a shuttle out of the port? If yes, where does it leave you? Do I have to get on another bus to get to the train station? If yes, is there any info I can find online about this bus? How much does the bus cost?

I am trying to avoid taking any taxis but if I have no choice I would take one.

I really appreciate it if anyone responds to this message. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Most of the cruise lines have eliminated the local shuttle service in Livorno, but I cannot be sure about Carnival. Keep in mind that even if they have a shuttle its not always such a good deal. They normally shuttle to a central location downtown, which is still quite a walk to the train station..and those shuttles generally cost $5 per person. A group of 4 would actually pay more for the shuttle than a taxi to the station. Its also a bit difficult to even get a taxi to take you to the station (most of the taxis are looking for full day trips) so you sometimes need to be a bit assertive at the taxi cue and keep insisting that you need a local ride to the "stazione." There is usually an Italian guy who tries to coordinate the taxis with fares, and he will eventually get you a taxi...although you might wait a few minutes. Since the number of taxis are limited it can be helpful to be one of the first passengers off the ship.

Hank
Old 06-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Thank you Hank... Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 AM

I will also be stopping in Katakolon, Greece. Is it easy to do on your own? If I get a cab to take me to Olympia how much will they charge?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Keep in mind that Katakolon is a small fishing village with a limited number of taxis. As a result, they have fixed the price (this would be called collusion in our country) at about 120 Euros to take you round trip to Olympia. I believe it takes about 20 -25 min for the drive. There used to be a local car rental dealer (I think its called Katakolon Car Rental) that used to charge about 40 - 45 Euros for a day rental...but not sure if they still exist of their current price.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, car, carnival, charge, europe, florence, greece, katakolon, livorno, port, rental, shuttle, shuttles, station, train