Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

We're finally doing our dream cruise to North Cape -- and I'm looking for advice on things we can do on our own in some of our other ports in Norway.

They are:
Alesund
Alta
Tromso
Molde (we may take a tour to the folk museum, undecided)
Bergen

And, in Olden, we're thinking of a cruise on either Lake Olden or Lake Loen. What are the differences?

We've already booked a transfer to North Cape from Honningsvaag.

Are there any must-do excursions -- keeping in mind that we will have a child with us, none of us are hikers, and one of us (me) is deathly afraid of heights.

Thank you in advance. We've got five months to plan, but there's nothing like starting early.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:22 AM

In Alesund you can can just walk of the ship and you are right in the middle of the town, famous for its art deo buildings. Just stroll the streets, visit the church, the art deco museum in an old pharmacy, the local history museum etc.
In Bergen you might need a shuttle bus, depending on the pier, to get to the city center. Here you find a broad choice of museums, eg. art (of course many pieces by Munch) and history, the market, the historic port side (from the Hanse time), fortifications, churches, shops, parks ...
Old 02-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Thank you, MS Cruiser. This is exactly the type of information I was seeking. (And, did you know that I am an art deco fanatic? )
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
As a norwegian I should know these cities pretty well, but we tend to loose focus on the highlights in our own country.

Here's a list of things I find interesting:

Aalesund:

Walk the streets and feel the atmosphere of a cozy western norwegian town. I you were hikers and not so afraid of heights it is wonderful to climb the 480 something steps to the top of the town mountain Aksla.

Alta:
Have not been there since I was a small child, but I will be going there in the end of may. really don't know what to focus on here, but would guess it's a nice place to look at some craft made by the laps and their culture.

Tromso:
The polar cathedral (ishavskatedralen)
Polaria: Polar museum with the story of the arctic and a seal aquarium

Molde:
As you suggest the folk museum.

Bergen:
A LOT Suggest you find a good brochure and pick what interest you the most. A must do is the fish market and the Hansa area with the piers. Again the height issue: There is a steep tram line to a mountain called Floyen which would give you a terrific panorama over the city.

In Nordnes there is an aquarium and a nice little park.

Have a wonderful time in Norway. I hope the weather will be on your side.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Thank you, Svein. I'm glad you mentioned Polaria as that is one of the shore excursions we pre-booked. (North Cape transfer and the Molde folk museum are the others.)

I think I'll pass on the nearly 500 steps to mount Aksla...but I'll be fine in the tram in Bergen. I'm OK in confined spaces like trams and airplanes, but not in open spaces.

Enjoy your upcoming trip to Alta! We will be there in early July, so I welcome any comments upon your return.

Closed Thread

Tags
aalesund, excrsion, excurions, excursions, heights, lake, loennorway, molde, norway, olden, ports, reviews, scared, shore