Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 09:22 AM

What kind of weather can I expect in the eastern Med. in early November? We're traveling on Oceania Nautica Nov 5-15, visiting Athens, Kusadasi, Crete, Malta, Naples, Portovenere, Florence, and Rome.Do I need a heavy winter coat and sweaters, or can I get by with a lighter jacket? I live in Florida, and really feel the cold. Please give me an idea of temperatures, not subjective like, "it's mild at that time of year". Warm and cold are very subjective. While 60 r 70 might be mild to some, to me, that is winter weather and I would have to dress accordingly. Any advice on these ports is greatly appreciated. We have never cruised before, and while we have been to Paris, all of these ports will be new to us.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:31 AM

Awesome cruise on an awesome ship. I have cruised just about the same itinerary on Renaissance when she was around. You will find the weather very acceptable and never really cold. It is great for visiting that region as the summer crowds are gone and it is cool enough to climb the Acropolis' without heavy persperation. I just got back from the Med and it was HOT the enmtire time. I should tell you that I live in San Diego, so I am also used to warm weather. The only time you might need a light jacket would be int he evening time if you are outdoors.

Have a great cruise!

Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the info, but what temps should I expect? I'm a person who gets cold when it's below 80. I live in Florida, and I'm used to extreme heat and humidity. Frankly, San Diego always sounded a bit cool to me. Can I leave the heavy winter coat at home? (Yes, I have one. Need it to visit family up north, I was in Paris in Feb, etc.) I have a leather jacket that I wear in the winter here. Should I bring it, or would it be too warm? I guess I should plan on layers-light sweater, jacket, etc. Looking forward to it. We chose this time of year because of the price. Plus, I hate crowds, although they don't bother my husband in the least. I'm sure some things like the Vatican are always busy. I was surprised at how crowded Paris was in February. I think my friend and I waited longer to get inside the Eiffel Tower on a cold, wet day, than my husband and I did on a perfect day in September. And we chose the ship for the food (hubby is a chef), the lack of smoking, and the smaller size. I don't want to cruise with enough people to fill my entire hometown back in PA.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:43 PM

I'm also thinking of doing an Eastern Med cruise around October/November w/ my family since its a lot cheaper. I wonder if the sea gets really choppy, i nver gets sea sick anyway, just concerned about my cruise companions.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:29 AM

Regarding whether or not to bring a coat...May I suggest that you simply bring a sweater. It will be warm in Athens. If you feel a chill in the evening, you can easily pick up a wonderful wool shawl/pashmina in port in Kusadasi and have a lovely reminder of your trip as well as the warmth you may need. It makes more sense than dragging a heavy winter coat around. As far as the seas, you can hit chop anywhere, but normally you can expect fairly calm seas in November as well as lovely weather.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:02 PM

You can go to www.weatherbase.com and get the avg. temps for that time of year. Hope this helps, Dee

Closed Thread

Tags
acropolis, climbing, cool, cruise, cruises, eastern, europe, med, mediterranean, mediterrean, november, october, reviews, wear, weather