Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2006, 03:39 AM

I read somewhere that there is a new special train link from Civitavecchia Port to Rome called "Roma Express". I have not been able to find out anything more about it- timetables, cost, length of journey or where the station is located (Is it in the actual port?)
Old 11-24-2006, 11:38 AM

I am not sure that there is an express train, but here are instructions on how to take the train to Rome from the port. Note there are specific instructions with pictures making it very easy to do.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Rome2.htm

Have a great trip!

Tom
Old 11-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ogg:
I am not sure that there is an express train, but here are instructions on how to take the train to Rome from the port. Note there are specific instructions with pictures making it very easy to do.

Have a great trip!

Tom
Thanks for that! It is now bookmarked on my computer!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:11 AM

There is definitely a new "novelty" train to Rome called "Roma Express" operating from Civitavecchia. I have found a company offering organised tours using the train but they do not give any info about the service to enable anyone to "do it themselves". The photos they show on their website look as if the train is actually within the port.
see www.seatrain.biz/index.php?pag=rome
Old 11-29-2006, 09:38 AM

I now have the answer to my original question. Yes, there is a new rail link from within the port straight into Rome. However, it is NOT available for the general public to book independently, it is only available through cruise excursion organisers. Speaks for itself. We will be takig the regular train from Civitavecchia to Rome following your excellent directions and information - many,many thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:55 PM

For a long time I wondered if anyone would try to organize such a train. The port of Civitavecchia (like most ports) has train sidings located within the port..and these would be within walking distance to the ships. Anyone who has ever walked through the port area to the main entrance (we have done this several times) actually walked right over these tracks. They were only used as freight sidings to serve the port. If someone has now organized a private train from these sidings, that would be a good thing for tours. On the other hand, I suspect these trains would save you only about 15 min over the regular train service at a much higher price. One can only imagine the cruise lines charging more than $70 per person vs about $20 on the regular trains. When I clicked on the link for these special trains, I couldn't help but notice that there were no prices, actually time of the journey, or real schedules. Guess we shall just have to wait and see!

Hank
Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 AM

Hank and other, I live in Rome and just got off a cruise from Civitavecchia. I don't think there is any chance of a train going all the way up to the ships as the port is a very busy commerical port and very busy with truck traffic, I cannot see a train carrying a few cruise passagers will be approved.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Tom, great post with pictures to ease the minds of us that don't like jumping off into the unknown.

I have to ask, what is B.I.R.G.? Do the initials stand for something? That is what I would ask for at the ticket counter, I want 4 BIRG tickets?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM

I will be disembarking in Civitavecchia at the end of my 12 night cruise. Is it do-able to still take the train with my luggage? I am not a light packer, but I am able to wheel all of my luggage. Just not sure how busy the train going into Rome will be. But the train seems the most economical way to get into the city. Any feedback appreciated.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ogg:

Have a great trip!

Tom
What a great post! This has got to help a lot of people.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
citaveccia, citiviavecchia, civitaavecchia, civitavecchia, cost, express, links, port, prices, private, roma, rome, schedule, train, trains